Saturday, May 26, 2012

May 26, 2012 … David’s Legacy Is Ours

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: 1st Chronicles 26-29 … To study these chapters, go to this link -
============
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 127 … To study this Psalm, go to this link -
 ============

Highlight Passage: … 1st Chronicles 26: 27-27 26 Shelomith and his relatives were in charge of all the treasuries for the things dedicated by King David, by the heads of families who were the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds, and by the other army commanders.27 Some of the plunder taken in battle they dedicated for the repair of the temple of the Lord. 
============
Highlight Passage #2: … 1st Chronicles 28: 9-10 … [David to his son, Solomon] ...  9 "And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve Him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands every desire and every thought. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.10 Consider now, for the Lord has chosen you to build a house as the sanctuary. … Be strong and do the work."
============
Highlight Passage #3: … 1st Chronicles 29: 18-19 … [David’s prayer for Solomon] ”… 18 Lord, the God of our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Israel, keep these desires and thoughts in the hearts of your people forever, and keep their hearts loyal to you.19 And give my son Solomon the wholehearted devotion to keep your commands, statutes and decrees and to do everything to build the palatial structure for which I have provided."  
============
Highlight Passage #4: … Psalm 127: 1 1 Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain. 

My Journal for Today: There’s a lot in my chronological reading plan assignment for this date, … studying in the last four chapters of 1st Chronicles and Psalm 127, which I hope you take in with the links above. And your study will reveal somewhat of a last will and testament by King David in his later years as he turns over the building of the Temple and prays for the future of God’s people, the Israelites. And in these charges and prayers (even a prayer of Solomon’s in Psalm 127), we can glean a lot of principles for living from those who are truly sold-out believers in the one, true … the only, true … living God.

And David lays out a lot of these principles to his son, Solomon. Here are a few of them for our review and self inventory … [See 1st Chronicles 28: 9-10 above] …
============
1. Develop a deep and abiding relationship with God … i.e., see and know God
2. Learn life’s path and receive life guidance from God’s word (the Scripture)
3. Worship God in complete surrender … our 24/7 devotion to Him
4. Serve God willingly and faithfully … i.e., our service is our worship
5. Never give up on God
============

And apparently Solomon, at least at the time of taking over the building and completion of the Holy Temple and when he became King in succession of David, received this advice willingly and with surrender; because in Psalm 127, verse one, quoted above, we read Solomon writing the song, dedicating any building in God’s kingdom being in vain if it is not built under the guidance and with purpose coming from God Himself.

I truly hope, and will pray today, that my life is built in what I call “surrender mode” to my God. I pray that what I do each day is somehow building God’s kingdom, which according to my New Covenant beliefs is the utilization of all that I am – my body, mind, and soul [i.e., His temple] – for my worship of my God (see 1st Cor. 6: 19 and Romans 12: 1). And if I try to be a steward of and a builder of God’s temple (my body/mind/spirit) on my own, without the guiding principles from God’s word, as it says in Psalm 127: 1, the work will be in vain.

 My friend, if you’re reading here, please know that the reason why I’m here voluntarily at all on this beautiful Saturday morning is only to become a better builder of God’s temple, … where God resides in me, as a place of worship and a focus of my being one of my Lord’s kingdom builders. And so all of the instructions which I read from God in this morning’s devotional, passed along to Solomon, as to the building of God’s Temple and His kingdom, certainly apply as I do all I can (and you too in your life) to be a kingdom builder for God’s glory. That’s what David wanted for Solomon, having learned these lessons the hard way with many failures in his life; and that’s what God wants for me (and you, too!).

So, my friend, let’s go about building God’s temple for His glory today.

My Prayer Today: … Lord, that is my prayer today. That I follow your Scriptural guide and I lay a few bricks in the building of Your Kingdom … for Your glory. Amen

No comments: