Thursday, January 28, 2016

January 28, 2016: No Cell To Call

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 28

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of the lyrics from the group Hillsong singing … You Have Made Me Glad, expressing the trust King David had in His God in time of need.

 
Highlight Passage:   Psalm 18: 6 [NKJV] …
6 In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried out to my God; [and] He heard me from His temple, and my cry came before Him, even to His ears. 
 … A servant of God relying on His God in need.
============ 
Highlight Context – Psalm 18:1-6 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …
… David in dire need of help, relies on His God for the Lord to help him in time of need. 
============     

Reference Passage #1 Psalm 116:1-2 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… The Psalmist just knew God would bend down to hear His pleas.

Reference Passage #2 Proverbs 3:5-6 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… David’s son, Solomon, also knew His God would direct His steps.

Reference Passage #3 1st Peter 5:7 [NKJV] …
7 Casting all your care on Him, because He cares for you. 
  … Peter's advice to all who call on the Name of the Lord for help.

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Keila Ochoa, related a personal story to illustrate where our reflexes often take us when we feel desperate for help. She wrote: As a mom of young children I’m sometimes susceptible to panic. My first reaction is to call my mom on the phone and ask her what to do with my son’s allergy or my daughter’s sudden cough. ... Mom is a great resource, but when I read the Psalms, I’m reminded of how often we need the kind of help that no mortal can give. In Psalm 18 David was in great danger. Afraid, close to death, and in anguish, he called on the Lord. 

Oh how dependent we have become on those little boxes we carry around with us [see attached photo]; and they certainly can be powerful helpers when we’re in need of 911 assistance or the feedback from mom when a kid is wheezing or crying. But what if we had no little talking box which can connect us to mom or a 911 operator. David certainly had no cell phone when King Saul was trying to kill him. All he had was his trust in God; and when he was in dire need of help, he trusted that his God would be there. And He was!!

 Maybe the next time we reflexively pick up our cell phone to call mom or the government for help, we’ll also send up a prayer to the Lord of lords, Who certainly is willing - and most able - to help us [see Prov. 3:5-6 and 1st Peter 5:7]. But … if you need her, pick up that cell phone and call mom too!!...   [;>)  

My Prayer Today:  Heavenly Father, … Help me, Lord, in my time of need. Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: