Monday, March 28, 2016

March 28, 2016: Unlikely Encounters

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 88 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of Gretchen Keskeys singing, Then I Met Jesus, declaring how an encounter with Jesus changes one’s life - FOREVER!!

 
Highlight Passage:  Luke 24:30-31 [NKJV] …  
30 Now it came to pass, as He sat at the table with them, that He took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they knew Him; and He vanished from their sight. 
… Jesus reveals himself to two disciples who felt so lost without their Messiah.
===========
Highlight Context – Luke 24:13-35 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… The men on the road to Emmaus had their eyes opened to the resurrected Jesus
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Luke 9: 23 [NKJV] …  
4 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. …” 
… A faith encounter with the Savior changes a life forever.

Reference Passage #2 - 2nd Corinthians 5:17 [NKJV] …  
4 Therefore, If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; … old things have passed away; behold, … all things have become new. 
… A faith encounter with the Savior changes a life forever.

Reference Passage #3 - Galatians 2: 20 [NKJV] …  
20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
… When one believes in Christ as Lord and Savior, he/she dies to self and is raised again to a new life in Christ.

  My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, David McCasland, wrote of an Italian artist who painted the scene of the travelers to Emmaus from Luke 24 finally seeing who Jesus really was (is). Our ODB author wrote: Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (1571–1610), an Italian artist, … used ordinary working people as models for his saints and was able to make viewers of his paintings feel they were a part of the scene. The “Supper at Emmaus” shows an innkeeper standing while Jesus and two of His followers are seated at a table when they recognize Him as the risen Lord (Luke 24:31). One disciple is pushing himself to a standing position while the other’s arms are outstretched and his hands open in astonishment. 

I can remember so vividly that morning in 1983 when, after many years of walking in the fog of unbelief, my eyes were finally opened and I recognized Jesus for Whom He really was (is). My astonishment was overwhelming; and my life was changed forever (see 2nd Cor. 5:17 and Gal. 2:20).

Oswald Chambers was quoted in today’s ODB writing: “Jesus rarely comes where we expect Him; He appears where we least expect Him, and always in the most illogical connections. The only way a worker can keep true to God is by being ready for the Lord’s surprise visits.” 

And today, … as we walk the roads of life, I think we need to be looking for an encounter where our Savior shows up in some special or unexpected way to help us become more like Him and to allow us to follow Him more closely.

My Prayer Today:  Heavenly Father, … I’m going to look for You on the road today. … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: