Monday, July 18, 2016

July 18, 2016: Trusting Him

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 200  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a You Tube video of Kathy Troccoli, singing … I Will Choose Christ, purposefully declaring her choice to give her all - all of her trust - to her Savior.


Highlight Passage:  Psalm 20:7 [NKJV] …  
7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord Our God.
… Placing our trust in anything or anyone other than God is foolhardy.
===========
Highlight Context – Psalm 20 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… King David’s trust in the living God.
===========      

Reference Passage #1 … Proverbs 3:5-6 [NKJV] …  
5 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. 6 In ALL your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths. 
… We may know it; … but do we live it?

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Lawrence Darmani related an interesting and true word picture to illustrate the trust we need in our God. He wrote: I like watching birds, an activity I developed while growing up in a forest village in Ghana where there were many different species of birds. In the city suburb where I now live, I recently observed the behavior of some crows that interested me. Flying toward a tree that had shed most of its leaves, the crows decided to take a rest [see attached photo]. But instead of settling on the sturdy branches, they lighted on the dry and weak limbs that quickly gave way. They flapped their way out of danger—only to repeat the useless effort. Apparently their bird-sense didn't tell them that the solid branches were more trustworthy and secure resting places. 

Then Darmani asked the pointed question: … “WHAT ABOUT US?” … On what do we light in life when we need to rest or settle in and trust our weight on something or someone? And I think you can see where God is leading us with the reference from King David’s Psalm 20 and Solomon’s advice in a passage you probably have memorized (if not, you should!) from Proverbs 3:5-6.

As Kathy Trocccoii sings in a song I’ve often use to highlight my journal entries, we need to be God’s faithful today, don’t we? I don’t think I need to say any more, do I? Let’s all fly to our Lord and settle in on His strong branches.

My Prayer Today:  O, Heavenly Father, … Help me to light on Your ever secure branches and to rest in You.  Amen    

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: