Wednesday, July 27, 2016

July 27, 2016: Vulnerability Is Risky

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 209  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a You Tube video of Mia Fieldes singing … Fearless, poignantly singing how we should be in God’s presence … fearless … and willing to be vulnerable to share His love with others.

 
Highlight Passage:  Ephesians 4:1-2 [NKJV] …  
1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, 2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, …
… To truly BE Christians we must be willing to reach out with vulnerability and help others. 
===========
Highlight Context – Ephesians 4:1-6 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul’s exhortation for Christians to walk strong in their calling, being willing to help others. 
===========      

Reference Passage #1 … Philippians 2:3-5 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul exhorted fellow Christians (you/me too) to be like Christ … willing to be open and vulnerable, helping others whenever we can.

Reference Passage #2 … 1st Thessalonians 5:11-19 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul challenged his friends in Thessalonica (and others) to open themselves up and live as Christ would live.

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Cindy Kasper, used an illustrative story to teach on vulnerability. She wrote: As I ventured out several weeks after shoulder surgery, I was fearful. I had become comfortable using my arm sling, but both my surgeon and physical therapist now told me to stop wearing it. That’s when I saw this statement: “At this stage, sling wear is discouraged except as a visible sign of vulnerability in an uncontrolled environment.” Ah, that was it! I feared the enthusiastic person who might give me a bear hug or the unaware friend who might bump me accidentally. I was hiding behind my flimsy baby-blue sling because I feared being hurt.

Yes, the OBD story does illustrate the riskiness of being vulnerable, open, honest, and willing to open up to others. When we take off the sling, especially after an injury, and get out there, with vulnerability, being willing to hug and be hugged, there is the risk of injury for sure. But according to the Apostle Paul, the risk is worth it for us [see Scriptures above] … to live in Christ as Mia Fieldes sings in the linked song … “FEARLESS!”

It’s only when we live in/for Christ, as He lived (and died) for us, that we can truly be Him to others. And that takes vulnerability. So, what about today, my friends; … are we willing to take off the sling and go out and hug someone who needs a hug today? … I hope so!!

My Prayer Today:  O, Heavenly Father, … Thank You, Lord, for helping me to share my story with others who need to hear that they are not alone in their weakness.  Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: