Monday, April 10, 2017

April 10, 2017 … Jesus, My Best Friend

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 100 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song and lyrics from Alan Jackson singing the old hymn … What A Friend We Have In Jesus … poignantly declaring the reality of our friendship with Jesus as born-again Christians.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Hebrews 10:21 … [NLT] … 
21 And since we have a great High Priest who rules over God’s house, 22 let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him. … 
… What a friend we have in Jesus … our High Priest in Heaven!
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: Hebrews 10:19-23 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God expressing His deep friendship to all who believe on His Kingship.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … John 1:12 [NLT] … 
12 But to all who believed Him and accepted Him, He gave the right to become children of God. 
… And as Jesus’ brothers and sisters, as true believers, He is a friend like no other.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … Philippians 4:6-7 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul, exhorting Christians to take their worries to our friend, King Jesus.

Reference Passage #3 [NKJV] : … 1st Peter 5:7 [NLT] … 
7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you. 
… Peter realized what a friend he had in Jesus.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, James Banks, used a personal story to illustrate the closest friend any Christian has … that of our Lord and King, Jesus. The ODB author wrote: When I was twelve years old our family moved to a town in the desert. After gym classes in the hot air at my new school, we rushed for the drinking fountain. Being skinny and young for my grade, I sometimes got pushed out of the way while waiting in line. One day my friend Jose, who was big and strong for his age, saw this happening. He stepped in and stuck out a strong arm to clear my way. “Hey!” he exclaimed, “You let Banks get a drink first!” I never had trouble at the drinking fountain again. 

Have you ever had a friend like Jose to our ODB author? I did when I was a kid. We had a bully in our neighborhood; but when he saw me with my friend, Buddy, who was twice his size, the bully was no longer a bully. And today’s ODB reminded me that I have the “BESTEST" FRIEND of all; and one who is stronger than any bully we might encounter in this life.

So, as today’s Scriptures declare, … when we have a bully, … a person or thought, … which is burdening us, we should do what Alan Jackson sings and God’s word declares (see Phil. 4:6-7 or 1Peter 5:7) and take my bully into the prayer presence of my best friend, … King Jesus!

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … King Jesus, … Thank You, dear Lord, for being my friend. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: