Tuesday, April 04, 2017

April 4, 2017 ... His Word Lighting My Path

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 94 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of an image and lyrics from the Maranatha Singers singing … Thy Word … poignantly singing the truth of the power of God’s word to guide our lives as Christians.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 63:6-7 … [NLT] … 
6 I lie awake thinking of You (LORD), … meditating on You through the night. 7 Because You are my helper, … I sing for joy in the shadow of Your wings. 
… David’s meditation on God’s word calmed his heart.
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 63:1-11 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… King David had learned how to quiet his soul and mind … by meditating on God’s Word. 
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Psalm 119:105 [NLT] … 
105 Your word (LORD) is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. 
… This Psalmist knew that focus on God’s word would light our way in life.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … Isaiah 55:11 [NLT] … 
11 It is the same with My word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it. 
… How foolish not to use the power of God's word for His purposes in guiding our lives.

Reference Passage #3 [NKJV] : … 2Timothy 3:16-17 [NLT] … 
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work. 
… Everything we do as a Christ follower is enhanced by the power of following God’s word.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David McCasland, told of the found of The Navigators ministry and his reliance on God’s Word. The ODB author wrote: Dawson Trotman, a dynamic Christian leader of the mid-twentieth century and founder of “The Navigators,” emphasized the importance of the Bible in the life of every Christian. Trotman ended each day with a practice he called “His Word the last word.” Before going to sleep he meditated on a memorized Bible verse or passage, then prayed about its place and influence in his life. He wanted the last words he thought about each day to be God’s words. 

Early in my discipleship as a new Christian, a mentor realized how spiritually handicapped I was in my biblical illiteracy. So, he set out to instill in me the type of discipline spoken of by the OBD story above. And here I am, over 25 years later, praying, studying, meditating, and journaling God’s word EVERY MORNING. And quite often, when my mind/heart is in turmoil at the end of the day, I will use a variant of the technique described above to calm my heart/mind, allowing me to sleep more peacefully.

And today’s photo, song, and scriptures pose the question as to how much we, as Christians, rely on God’s word to do what Psalm 119:105 decries above. Because if we don’t, we’re trying to grope for direction in the darkness of the world with no Spirit-led power to guide our way.

Personally, I’d rather be compulsively here every day, starting my day in God’s word, and using its truth to light my way through this life [see photo].

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … LORD, … Shine Your light brightly thru Your word to guide me today. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: