Friday, April 07, 2017

April 7, 2017 ... Living A Godly Life

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 97 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images from Joy Williams singing … Do They See Jesus In Me … poignantly singing of the desire of most Christians for others to see Jesus in the way we live in His Name and for His glory.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 1st Samuel 9:6 … [NLT] … 
16 But the servant said, “I’ve just thought of something! There is a man of God who lives here in this town. He is held in high honor by all the people because everything he says comes true. Let’s go find him. Perhaps he can tell us which way to go.” 
… Samuel was well known for his Godliness.
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: 1st Samuel 9:1-10 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Saul learns of Samuel, … a Godly man and a prophet of God.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Proverbs 3:5-6 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… A Godly person trusts God completely and is willing to follow His will and ways for others to see our Lord in the way we live.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … John 14:21 [NLT] … 
21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.” 
… Others see Jesus revealed in the way we live when (and only when) we obey Him and live for Him.

Reference Passage #3 [NKJV] : … Acts 1:8 [NLT] … 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” … We’re charged to be Christ’s witnesses in the world.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David Roper, used a personal reference to remind him of an OT story about King Saul and the Prophet, Samuel. The ODB author wrote: My wife, Carolyn, and I were walking in London and came across a road named “Godliman” Street. We were told that a man once lived there whose life was so saintly that his street became known as “that godly man’s street.” 
This reminded me of an Old Testament story. Saul’s father sent his son and a servant to look for some donkeys that had wandered away. The young men searched for many days but couldn’t find the animals. Saul was ready to give up and go home, but his servant pointed toward Ramah, the prophet Samuel’s village, and replied, “Look, in this town there is a man of God; he is highly respected, and everything he says comes true. Let’s go there now. Perhaps he will tell us what way to take” (1 Sam. 9:6). 

Could I get an “AMEN!” from my readers if I claim that we Christians certainly want others to see Christ living in us by the way we live? I certainly hope so; because that’s what the ODB entry today is teaching; and I’m definitely one who wants the world to see Christ’s light shining brightly in what I say and do. That’s what the attached photo represents.

When Jesus ascended into Heaven, He charged His disciples (that’s you/me too) to be His witness. We’re to shine His light when others the way we live … just like others saw Godliness in the Prophet Samuel in the highlight passage. So, I’m going to pray that I can be His beacon today in the darkness which surrounds us all in this world.

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … LORD, … Shine Your light thru the way I live today. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: