Tuesday, August 23, 2016

August 23, 2016: God’s Word Speaks

Truth Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 236  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a You Tube video of images from the group, Mercy Me, singing … Word Of God Speak, poignantly praying what each of us who know Christ as Lord/Savior should pray … to let God’s truth speak to our lives.

 
Highlight Passage: Hebrews 1:1-3a … [NKJV] …  
1 God, who at various times and in various ways, spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, … 
… God has revealed Himself through His prophets and the Word of His Son (all of which we have in our Bible)
===========
Highlight Context … Hebrews 1:1-12 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… God’s supreme revelation comes through His written word - OUR BIBLE.
===========

Reference Passage #1 … 1st Corinthians 2:12 [NKJV] …  
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. 
… Not only has God given us His truth, via His word; but He’s also given us His Spirit to guide us in our understanding Him.

Reference Passage #2 … 2nd Timothy 3:16-17 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Paul teaching Timothy (and us) as to God’s word being God-inspired and His way of showing us His will/ways.

Reference Passage #3 … 2nd Peter 3:14-17 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Peter writes of the validity of His fellow Apostle, Paul, and how we must listen to God through His teachings.

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Dave Branon, used a personal story to teach about the power and truth coming from God’s word - our Bible. He wrote: Recently, my son-in-law was explaining to my granddaughter Maggie that we can talk with God and that He communicates with us. When Ewing told Maggie that God sometimes speaks to us through the Bible, she responded without hesitation: “Well, He’s never said anything to me. I’ve never heard God talk to me.”  

Anybody reading with me here empathize with little Maggie? I’m pretty sure any of us have felt that we needed to hear from God more clearly in order to know His will or follow His way. Do I sense an affirming, “Amen?!” Well, that’s why I’m here, writing this blog this morning, dear one.

I’ve come here, as I do every morning, to pray essentially what the group Mercy Me sings in the linked song above … to let God speak to me through His word. And he does … EVERYDAY!! … Today, He’s reminded me that His word - our Bible - is is primary way of revealing Himself and His truths to me. And all of those Scriptures above speak to God using His word to open Himself to me. 

The question is now whether God speaks to us through His word. NO, … the question is … are we listening?

My Prayer Today:  O, Heavenly Father, … Speak to me clearly through Your word, Lord.  Amen    

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: