Saturday, June 16, 2018

June 16, 2018 … Rough Ride

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 166 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube video with images and lyrics from Gordon Mote singing his song … Hold Me Up … poignantly singing of how God will do whatever it takes to help us thru the rough waters of this life.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: John 16:33 [NKJV] … 33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” 
… Jesus doesn’t promise a trouble-free life. He only promises to be our “overcomer” when we face the rough waters of life.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: John 16:22-33 [NKJV]… USE THIS LINK
… Jesus warns His disciples of upcoming storms in life; but promises His overcoming grace. 
=============

Reference Passage : … Luke 8:22-25 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… In the storms of life, we must have faith that Jesus will bring us thru … just as He promised.

Reference Passage : … Hebrews 13:5 [NKJV] … 5 … be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 
… God’s love and His promise of being with us ALWAYS when we need Him.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Xochitl Dixon, used a personal story an unanticipated rough time to illustrate God’s promise to be there when we need Him. The ODB author wrote: During a vacation, my husband and I signed up for a leisurely rafting tour down Georgia’s Chattahoochee River. Dressed in sandals, a sundress, and a wide brimmed hat, I groaned when we discovered—contrary to the advertisement—that the trip included light rapids. Thankfully, we rode with a couple experienced in whitewater rafting. They taught my husband the basics of paddling and promised to navigate us safely to our destination. Grateful for my life jacket, I screamed and gripped the plastic handle on the raft until we reached the muddy bank downriver. I stepped onto the shore and dumped water from my purse as my husband helped me wring out the hem of my soaked dress. We enjoyed a good laugh, even though the trip had not turned out as advertised. 

Good story in today’s ODB entry to illustrate going thru the rough waters of life; but I think today’s linked song, written/sung by a blind artist, Gordon Mote, is the perfect prayer for us as we travel the sometimes unadvertised rough waters we encounter in life. And the first graphic in the video with the lyrics to the song, we read a truth ALL Christians should know is true: … ”We may not know what the future holds; but we do know the One Who holds the future!”

Perhaps there are readers going thru a rough patch of unanticipated whitewater in life right now; but when we believe - TRULY BELIEVE - the truth of the scriptures above, especially John 16:33, Luke 8:22-25, and Hebrews 13:5, we will KNOW that Jesus is our eternal “Overcomer.” 

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You Your never-failing, enabling/empowering grace.
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit ... O Lord, … hold us up!! … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: