Tuesday, July 09, 2013

July 9, 2013 … A Valued Draft Pick

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 190

Passage of the Day #1: Zechariah 4: 8-10a [Chosen for God’s Glory! ] [NLT]  
8Then another message came to me from the LORD: 9 “Zerubbabel is the one who laid the foundation of this Temple, and he will complete it. Then you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me. 10 Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin, to see the plumb line in Zerubbabel’s hand.
===========
Contextual Study involving today’s passage found in Zechariah, Chapter 4Go to this link
============

 Passage of the Day #2: Haggai 1: 12-14 [God’s first-round draft pick! ] [NLT]
12Then Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, Jeshua son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and the whole remnant of God’s people obeyed the message from the LORD their God. It had been delivered by the prophet Haggai, whom the LORD their God had sent, and the people worshiped the LORD in earnest. 13Then Haggai, the LORD’s messenger, gave the people this message from the LORD: “I am with you, says the LORD!” 14 So the LORD sparked the enthusiasm of Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, Jeshua son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and the whole remnant of God’s people. They came and began their work on the house of the LORD Almighty, their God.
=============
Contextual Study involving today’s passage found in Zechariah, Chapter 4Go to this link
============

Passage of the Day #1: Isaiah 6: 8 [One called who accepted God’s draft call.] …  
8 Then I heard the Lord asking, “Whom should I send as a messenger to my people? Who will go for us?” And I said, “Lord, I’ll go! Send me.”

 Reference Passage of the Day #2: Acts 1: 8 [We’re all God’s pick to be His witnesses! ] …  
8 “... But when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, you will receive power and will tell people about Me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Reference  Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Today, please use this link to hear Marty Goetz singing, “Heneni!” where the story of Isaiah’s calling and the calling of the Lord on our lives is sung to challenge us all to be God's draft picks.

 My Journal for Today: During elementary school we used to covet our times out on the playground during recess time; and in the later grades, 4th – 6th, we’d divide up into teams and play basketball or dodge-ball; and being one of the bigger, more athletic kids, I was always one of the early picks; and it made me feel good. But I always felt sorry for those who were chosen last. I can just imagine how the egos of those early draft picks in the NFL or the NBA feel when they are picked very high in the draft each year, which means millions of dollars for them; but then there is the devastation which comes to those who dreamed of being drafted, but were not selected.

Well, if one goes back into the Old Testament, God also had a few high draft picks to serve Him for His glory; and one could just imagine what it must’ve felt like for Zerubbabel, (see the two highlight passages cited above from Zechariah and Haggai) who was hand-picked by God to rebuild David’s Temple; or when Isaiah, a man who felt totally unworthy, was selected by God to be His voice to God’s people (see reference citation above from Isaiah 6: 8). Talk about an ego boost! But these men, humbled themselves in their high draft selection for God’s team; and they basically said, “Heneni,” which in the Hebrew means, “Here I Am,” … and they went on to declare, “Send me!”

Do you know that all of us, as Christians, are God’s first round draft picks? Yes, when Jesus was ascending into heaven, He told His disciples (and that includes all who’ve received Him as Lord and Savior) what you read above in Acts 1: 8; and that’s our first-round draft selection to be His witnesses, i.e., first-round draft picks on His team … for His glory. And if you need more of a calling, go to Matthew 28: 19-20, which you Bible scholars recognize as the Great Commission; and in those two New Testament calls from Jesus, Himself, we read God picking you and me to be first-round draft picks on HIS TEAM.

Do we need any more valuable calling for our lives? … I think not!! … And I challenge you to use the link above to hear one of my favorite Christian singers, Marty Goetz, sing about our high draft pick for God’s glory; and I will pray that we all say, “Heneni, … Here I am, Lord, … send me!”

My Prayer for Today … Heneni, Lord ... send me! … Amen

No comments: