Thursday, April 10, 2014

April 10, 2014 … Living By The Word

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 100

Devotional Song: Go to this link …  Please go to this video link to see/hear a video of the power of Psalm 119, which teaches the truth and power of living by/under/with God’s word.
=============


Highlight Passage – NKJV: Galatians 5: 13-14 [NKJV] …  
13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” [Lev. 19: 18] 
============
Highlight Passage [Context] – NKJV: Galatians 5: 1-14 [NKJV] … Go to this link 
=============

Reference Passage #1: Psalms 119 [NKJV] … Go to this link … 

Reference Passage #2: Psalms 119: 9-11 [NKJV] … 
  9 How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word. 10 With my whole heart I have sought You; oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! 11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.

Reference Passage #2: Isaiah 55: 11 [NKJV] …  
11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

Reference Passage #3:  John 14: 21 [NKJV] …  
21 … He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

My Journal for Today: Fellow Christian; … if I could give you a tool which would unlock the secrets of living, would you want to borrow it? … If I could give you a path to victory in your life over all the evils you see in the future, would you want to take it? … If I could give you a drug which would give you peace in the midst of any storm, would you desire to use it?  

DUH!!! … If we’re serious about this business of being a Christian, we would answer a resounding “YES!!!” to all of those questions, wouldn’t we?

Well, the author of Psalm 119 (some think it was King David, other scholars don’t), whoever he was, discovered the answer to those questions. And if you take the time to use the video link above, you’ll be able to see the lyrics to the God-inspired love song in Psalm 119, the psalm written by a man who had fallen in love with the power of God’s word to answer “YES” to the questions I posed above.

For example, … Psalm 119: 9-11 poses a question which I believe any Christian would want to answer, … i.e., how can we avoid sin in our lives? And it gives the answer, … a prescription, directly from God, to have power over our sin nature. And the answer?! … To bury God’s word deeply in our mind/heart so that we can have power to resist sin.

The Prophet Isaiah, writing for God (in Isaiah 55: 11), gave us God’s promise with regard to the power of His word; and that promise is almost overwhelming, … seemingly too good to be true! But in this instance something that seems TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, … actually is true. God’s word, i.e., His truth, will always produce God’s power when it’s used for His purposes and to give Him glory.

So, now it’s up to us, isn’t it?! If we believe what I’ve presented above, why aren’t we adopting the attitude of love that the author of Psalm 119 exhibits? Why aren’t we contextualizing, memorizing, and internalizing more of God’s word? Why don’t we use the Sword of the Spirit (see Ephesians 6: 18) in spiritual warfare more effectively?

Prayerfully we will go from here and follow God’s word more powerfully tomorrow than we have in the past. Because if we do, we will be more powerful Christians.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, thank You for giving me Your power and peace from Your living word. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: