Sunday, April 13, 2014

April 13, 2014 … I Am Determined …

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 103

Devotional Song: Go to this link …  Please go to this video link to see/hear an anonymous worship service singing the poignant and classic hymn, with lyrics, I Surrender All, which reminds all Christians what it takes – in determination of spirit – to be a disciple of Christ. … And then to this link to hear my friend, and brother, Clay Crosse and his two friends, Bob Carlisle and Bebe Wynans singing I Will Follow Christ, which takes the concept of “determination” to the nth and heavenly degree of commitment.
=============


Highlight Passage – NKJV: Ruth 1: 16 [NKJV] …  
16 But [in response to her mother-in-law, Naomi] Ruth said: “Entreat me not to leave you, or to turn back from following after you; For wherever you go, I will go; and wherever you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God. 
============
Highlight Passage [Context] – NKJV: Ruth 1: 6, 11-18 [NKJV] … Go to this link
=============

Reference Passages #1and 2: Luke 9: 23 and 52 [NKJV] … Go to this link

My Journal for Today: Thirty-one years ago today, in brokenness, I surrendered my life to Christ. So, I guess you could call this my “re-birthday.” And thanks to my devotional time with God’s Spirit here this morning in my quiet place, I needed a reminder of what it takes, in determination of spirit, to follow Christ.

Yesterday, I was almost overwhelmed by a series of events which had me very discouraged…enough that I wanted to resign from my commitments and callings in Christ.  But then I came here to my morning time with my God in the Our Daily Bread devotional series; and in God’s perfect timing, I was reminded what “DETERMINATION” was all about.

And the pre-published devotional from RBC Ministries today was entitled exactly that - ”Determination”; and it used the story of Ruth’s response to her mother-in-law, Naomi, from the first chapter of the book of Ruth to illustrate what I found on the back of a T-shirt, defining and depicting the character trait of “determination.”

You’ve probably heard the younger generation saying, “Been there, done that, and got that t-shirt,” which is exactly what I needed in the picture I’ve attached to shake me back into the realization of what my Lord was teaching His disciples in Chapter 9 of Luke’s gospel account, where Jesus (see the link for Luke 9: 23 above) related to His followers what it takes to be His disciple; and then He showed His commitment – and DETERMINATION – to follow the will of His Father as He turned His course toward the cross [see Luke 9: 51].

To any reader here with me, … we, as Christians, are going to face disappointments and discouragement, as I did yesterday; and Satan will want to pour gas on the flames of our fears and despondency in moments like these. But it is then that we must put on our “determination” t-shirt and to remember what is sung above in the two songs to which I’ve linked any readers here, … songs which reminded me of the commitment I made to Christ 31 years ago on this date; … to deny my selfishness, … to take up my crosses daily, and … to stay on course and follow Him.

So, I’m back on track this morning, … realizing that, as Ruth followed Naomi, and Jesus followed His heavenly Father, … I must keep-on-keeping on and follow my Lord’s leading … to surrender my all to His purpose and to follow Him, no matter where He leads.

My Prayer for Today … My Lord, Jesus, I follow You. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: