Saturday, April 19, 2014

April 19, 2014 … Spotlight on Jesus

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 109

Devotional Song: Go to this link …  Please go to this video link to see/hear the group Avalon singing He’s Everything To Me, putting the spotlight of life exactly where it should be … on Jesus, Who gave His all so that we could have His everything.
=============


Highlight Passage – NKJV: Romans 5: 1 [NKJV] …  
1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 
============
Highlight Passage [Context] – NKJV: Romans 5: 1-11 [NKJV] … Go to this link 
=============

Reference Passages #1: Romans 15: 17 [NKJV] …  
17 Therefore I have reason to glory in Christ Jesus in the things which pertain to God.

 Reference Passages #2: Galatians 6: 14 [NKJV] …  
14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom[a] the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

My Journal for Today: It’s 2014 and tomorrow is Easter. Today in my Our Daily Bread devotional, the author, Joe Stowell, relates an incident which I witnessed on TV because I’m a big pro golf fan. Here’s the story Stowell related …  

”I’ll never forget the Easter Sunday in 1993 when Bernhard Langer won the Masters golf tournament. As he stepped off the 18th green to receive the green jacket—one of golf’s most coveted prizes—a reporter said, ‘This must be the greatest day of your life!’ Without missing a beat, Langer replied: ‘It’s wonderful to win the greatest tournament in the world, but it means more to win on Easter Sunday—to celebrate the resurrection of my Lord and Savior.’ "

Watching the Masters golf tournament on TV after coming home from Easter service in church that day, I remember seeing that interview and reveling in the German golfer’s rapid-fire response, taking the spotlight off of himself and putting it on the One to Whom Langer owed his everything, especially on that Easter Sunday as chance would have it, when the Christian world was celebrating the reality that Jesus came out of the tomb to show that He had defeated death for all mankind.

For Bernard Langer, as the song linked above, proclaims, Jesus was EVERYTHING TO HIM. The question I’m dealing with today as we look forward to celebrating Easter tomorrow, … ”Is my Jesus everything to me?” If I, like Bernard Langer, had the opportunity to take the spotlight off of my self and put it where it should be, on the Savior, would I do so?

 Really, I would hope so; but I don’t know. One of my primary sin strongholds has always been the desire for others to admire me … to want to like me. And so, right now my hope would be that God’s enabling grace would allow me to be humble and put the world’s spotlight on the One Who died on that cross so that I can have eternal life. And I pray that for all of us as well.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, You ARE everything to me! Help me to remember that when the world might put a spotlight on me. And help all of us – in YOU – to put the spotlight of Your grace squarely where it belongs … ON YOU!!! … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: