Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sept 25, 2014 … Let My Words Be Few

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 268

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK  … Please go this video link to hear Phillips, Craig, and Dean singing their poignant song Let My Words Be Few, declaring the truth that we all should observe … that we speak too much and do not listen enough.


==============
Highlight Passage - Proverbs 10: 19 [NKJV] … Jesus prays for the unity of His Church …
19 In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, … but he who restrains his lips is wise.
==============
Highlight Passage [Context] - - Proverbs 10: 17-21 [NKJV] … GO TO THIS LINK
==============

Reference Passage #1 - Ecclesiastes 3: 7 [NKJV] ...
  7 A time to tear, And a time to sew; A time to keep silence, And a time to speak; … 

Reference Passage #2 - Ecclesiastes 5: 2 [NKJV] … 
2 Do not be rash with your mouth, and let not your heart utter anything hastily before God. For God is in heaven, and you on earth. Therefore let your words be few. 

My Journal for Today: In this morning’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, the author, Jennifer Schuldt, begins by quoting an old poem of anonymous authorship …
A wise old owl sat in an oak; 
The more he saw the less he spoke; 
The less he spoke the more he heard; 
Why can’t we all be like that wise old bird?

One of my biggest weaknesses [I guess you could call it a “fault”] is my desire – and all too often reality – of getting my “two-cents worth” in a conversation. Most of the time I’m trying to create or live up to a self-imposed reputation which goes along with the “Dr.” and “Rev.” titles which are attached to my persona, given my education or ordination. I’ve always been a people-pleaser; and the way I so often try to make an impression is through my verbosity.

 Now it’s clear that press for getting “my say” into my interactions with others is not supported by God’s word, is it? Just read through the poem and the scripture references provided by the ODB author; and I become duly convicted – to say the least! Clearly I need to do what Phillips, Craig, and Dean sing about in the song I’ve linked readers to above. I need to “Let My Words Be Few!” I’ll let the attached photo, the linked song, and the scriptures above speak to your heart; but I do plan to monitor my verbal output more and speak less for at least the next week. We’ll see how it goes.

My Prayer Today: ... Lord, help me to let my words be few.

Blogger PS:  ... It's certainly not of great importance; but if one just might be following my blogs, which are generally filed daily, you may have noted I missed posting yesterday.  The technical reasons are a damaged internet modem and lack of connection to the Internet on 9/24.  Right now I'm in a restaurant with wifi access posting this entry for 9/25 a bit later than normal in the day for me.  But be assured I had my own quiet time with the Lord yesterday and today; and I'll do my best to keep on track with daily entries - somehow!  Thanks for your understanding.   <'wrb><

Blogger Note: Every day during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK; on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: