Tuesday, September 23, 2014

September 23, 2014 … Poetic License from God

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 266

Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Please take the time to see a video of an anonymous celtic group singing old hymn Be Thou My Vision, which expresses in song many of the same thoughts God gave me this morning to write the poem I’ve crafted and written below.


Highlight Passage: 2nd Samuel 1: 17, … 19 [NKJV} … David’s psalm - “The Song of the Bow” …  
17 Then David lamented with this lamentation over Saul and over Jonathan his son, … 19  “The beauty of Israel is slain on your high places! How the mighty have fallen! … “ 
============
Highlight Context - NKJV: 2nd Samuel 1: 17-27 [NKJV] … GO TO THIS LINK  David’s lamentation, inspired by his grief over the death of Saul and Jonathan
============

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, authored by David McCasland, related the story behind the poem David wrote in his grief after the death of King Saul and his son, Jonathan, who had been David’s beloved friend. David called the poem, “The Song of the Bow,” and it used David’s inspired and poetic talents to express his grief and his love for the King and his dear friend, now gone from his life. Please take the time, reading here to use the link to the pass quoting the poem/song in 2nd Samuel 1, linked above.

 As McCasland points out, “ We find poetry used throughout the Bible to express deep emotion, ranging from joyful praise to anguished loss. “ David probably wrote more poems, many accompanied by music that we do not have now; but the poetic lyrics from the original Hebrew, now translated into English, we do have; and how many of us have been enriched or enlightened, or empowered by the inspired poems of David and other biblical writers? God obviously used poetry, written by various authors to provide His grace to readers, even today, … believers who need the emotions conveyed by the poems to lift us up when we’re down and give us direction when we seem lost. Have you ever been lifted or directed by David’s psalms? l would guess you have, as have I. 

Well, this morning after meditating on David’s poem from 2nd Samuel and reading McCasland’s OBD entry, and having written some poetry in my past, I prayed a simple prayer, asking God’s Spirit to give me a word of poetry to express myself about my journey as a Christian. And this is what came to me, … a short poem I call “Homeward Bound.”

Homeward Bound 

Seeking the essence of perfection, 
Moving down a foggy path, 
And following the Light Provided by His Spirit; 
I'm empowered by grace, 
Undeserved but welcomed ... 
To cover human weaknesses 
Which abound in my soul. 

He leads me; 
And I weakly, yet willfully follow 
Thru the minefields of death, 
Yet ever onward, 
 Toward His garden home 
 Of life and eternal peace, … 
 Homeward bound! 

No, … I’m no David; but I do believe God can give anyone who’s touched by His poetry to express His message … from any soul who has been given the talent to receive and express his/her thoughts in poetry. Perhaps you should take a little God-time today to pray and see if God’s Spirit can make a poet of you.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, thank You for imparting Your inspiration to write a short thought about my journey with You through life, … Homeward Bound! … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: