Thursday, May 28, 2015

May 28, 2015 … Way Not Smart !!

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 148

Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK  … Please take the time to take in a video of the group 4Him singing The Basics of Life, expressing our need as Christians to get back to the basics of truth and wisdom found in God’s word.


Highlight Passage Proverbs 30: 2-3 [ESV] … 
2 Surely I am too stupid to be a man. I have not the understanding of a man. 3 have not learned wisdom, nor have I knowledge of the Holy One. 
… Agur, the writer, admits his lack of Godly wisdom/knowledge …
============
Highlight Context - Proverbs 30: 1-4 [ESV]USE THIS LINK
… Writer admits his human stupidity and need to pursue Godly wisdom
============

Reference Passage #1 - Job 28: 28 [ESV] … 
28 And [God] said to man, “Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding.”
… But when will we humans admit that truth and live in pursuit of Godly understanding?

Reference Passage #2 - Jeremiah 17: 9 [ESV] … 
9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked, … who can understand it? 
… We must never forget the condition of the human heart.

Reference Passage #3 - Proverbs 1: 2-7 [ESV] USE THIS LINK
… Solomon recognized man’s need for GODLY wisdom

Reference Passage #4 - Romans 7: 15-16 [ESV] … 
15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 
 … Paul’s admission - even as a mature Christian - that he still does stupid stuff!

Reference Passage #5 - 1st Corinthians 1: 20-31 [ESV] USE THIS LINK
… Paul’s teaching on the reality of our human stupidity (i.e., foolishness) and our need to seek the wisdom of God.

Reference Passage #6 - 2nd Corinthians 11: 3 [ESV] … 
3 But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 
 … Paul’s warning to beware of the devices of Satan to deceive us and drive us away from God’s will and His ways, found in His word.

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Mart DeHaan, opened with a riddle, the answer for which totally escaped my intelligence to figure it out.

 The Riddle: What is greater than God—and more evil than the devil? The poor have it. The rich need it. And if you eat it, you will die. 

Have you heard it before or figured it out? The answer can be found [in red] after my disclaimer statement below. But even with a measured IQ of 147 (aren’t we impressed!!), I didn’t get it. Oh, how often we think we’re so smart, … don’t we? … But we’re not, … are we?!!

 Today, in the highlight and reference Scriptures provided above, it becomes quite obvious that we live with a deceit-ridden heart (see Jer. 17: 9); and even mature, prophetically-gifted men like Solomon and the Apostle Paul knew that the only way to solve the riddles of this life were to pursue GOD’S wisdom … NOT the wisdom of the world or of mankind.

 We humans, as the title of my journal entry today states … are just … “WAY NOT SMART!” No matter how smart we think we might be (see the implications of the attached photo), we need to return back, as my devotional song link today sings, “To The Basics of Life!” And those basics are found only in our main source of God’s wisdom and truth, … THE BIBLE.

 That’s why I’m here today and will be here tomorrow, praying that God imparts His infallible will and His very “learnable” ways … through His word, the source of endless wisdom. And this very fallible mind (mine!), has to confess that I too often think I’m SO-SO smart. But so-so often I’m revealed as “WAY DUMB!”

 So …. pray with me today and then let’s go search out God’s wisdom from His word.

My Prayer Today: Oh Lord, … light our path as you promise in Ps. 119: 105 … with the truth from Your word; and show all here, reading with me today, Your way to overcome our deceit-ridden hearts. Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site. 

Answer to the Riddle: … “NOTHING”

No comments: