Sunday, May 24, 2015

May 24, 2015 … Fear or Faith?

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 144

Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK  … Please take the time to take in a video of Fernando Ortega singing the song I Need Thee Every Hour, expressing the need all Christians have, especially when we’re faced with troubles or trials.


Highlight Passage Isaiah 41: 13 [ESV] … 
13 For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; and it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the One Who helps you.” 
… David had learned to rely on God when he was caught in tight places
============
Highlight Context - Isaiah 41: 8-13 [ESV]USE THIS LINK
… God’s faithful need not fear, for He is with us - ALWAYS!
============

Reference Passage #1 - Deuteronomy 31: 6, 8 [ESV] USE THIS LINK
… Moses encouraging Joshua and God’s people that God would never forsake them as they were about to enter the Promised Land … scary times, requiring more faith than ever to rely on God.

Reference Passage #2 - Proverbs 3: 5-6 [ESV] USE THIS LINK
… Solomon knew that trusting in God is the ONLY way to go.

Reference Passage #3 - Matthew 11: 28-30 [ESV] … 
28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” 
… Jesus invites His disciples (that’s us!) to yoke our weaknesses to His strength.

Reference Passage #4 - 2nd Corinthians 12: 9 [ESV] … 
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 
 … Paul was caught in a trial of pain when he remembered Jesus’ teaching on God’s grace being enough when he (Paul) was weak.

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Dave Branon, uses a personal story of trying to free a chipmunk from netting into which the little guy had become entangled [see attached photo]. But the chipmunk reacted in fear and tried to bite even the hand who was trying to free the chipmunk. … Branon uses the story to teach how we often react to God in fear, when our Lord is only trying to free us from our own selfishness and stupidity. How often do we let fear drive us in the midst of trials instead of holding to our faith in the almighty God who has promised to lift up the righteous and faithful with His righteous right hand (see Isaiah 41: 10, 13 linked/copied above)?

 If you saw my devotional from ODB posted yesterday, you’ll see that I’ve referred to many of the same scriptures for my journal entry today; and I did so because all God wants, especially when we feel trapped or entrapped by life’s circumstances, is for us to trust Him and let Him free us from ourselves.

 So, wherever we are today, especially if we feel caught up in some netting of circumstances, … let us trust our God to set us free and to live in a closer, freer, and more abiding relationship with our Lord.

My Prayer Today: Oh Lord, … I rely on Your strength to pull me out of the netting I find myself in today. Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: