Friday, December 02, 2016

December 2, 2016 ... Talking To Myself and God

Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 337

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Dolly Parton singing her prayer in song … Hello God … poignantly speaking openly to God in song with a prayer of contrition and a plea for God’s love.



=============
Highlight Verse: Psalm 116:7 [NKJV] … 
7 Return to your rest, O my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you. 
… The Palmist talks to himself of how God has dealt with his soul.
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 116:1-7 … USE THIS LINK
… The Psalmist has a quiet conversation with God and himself.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : ... Psalm 62:5, 103:2 … USE THIS LINK
… King David has a self-directed conversation in song, knowing that God is listening.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, James Banks, uses a personal illustration, with which most of us can identify, to teach on our prayer life with God. He writes: Do you ever talk to yourself? Sometimes when I’m working on a project—usually under the hood of a car—I find it helpful to think aloud, working through my options on the best way to make the repair. If someone catches me in my “conversation” it can be a little embarrassing—even though talking to ourselves is something most of us do every day. 

And we do, don’t we? … Well, at least I do. And quite often, especially here in the later stages of my life, I find myself talking with myself, … but knowing that my Lord is listening … even bending down to monitor my self-talk, which includes Him (see how God listens to us in Psalm 116:1-2).

In fact, I come to a quiet place every morning to be with my God with few earthly/personal distractions; and I quite often find myself speaking to myself, believing - no, KNOWING - that my God hears me in my self-directed conversations.

In this morning’s linked song, you can hear Dolly Parton praying in song; and you get the sense that she’s just having an open conversation with God, believing strongly that He not only hears but He cares.

I hope that others, reading with me here, take the time to get alone - and yes, daily - to talk to ourselves, reciting our blessings and thankfulness to God as the Psalmists in today’s highlight scriptures above; and then pouring out our hearts, openly and verbally, with our confessions , thankfulness, and petitions; … because our God even bends down to hear our words of contrition and concern.

He so loves and cares for His children!!!

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, oh my soul is so weary of my selfishness. May I surrender more to You, Lord, … seeking Your will and Your way thru Your word … every day!! ... Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: