Monday, December 26, 2016

December 26, 2016 ... Waiting On God

Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 361

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images from Sara Groves singing her song … I’ll Wait … poignantly singing about one of the toughest things for any believer to do … to wait on God’s timing.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Luke 2:25 [NKJV] … 
25 And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon, and this man was just and devout, waiting for the Consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 
… Simeon waited patiently on God for all of his life; and his faith in God’s promise was finally rewarded.
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: Luke 2:25-38 … USE THIS LINK
… Luke’s account of two believers, Simeon and Anna, who faithfully waited and served their awaited Messiah all of their life.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Proverbs 3:5-6 … USE THIS LINK
… Believing that and living it are two different things!

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … Galatians 4:4-5 … 
4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. 
 … It’s so hard to wait on God’s timing to fulfill His promises.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Julie Ackerman Link, made a personal confession to illustrate how difficult it can be at times to wait on God’s timing. The ODB author writes: Sometimes I joke that I'm going to write a book titled On Time. Those who know me smile because they know I am often late. I rationalize that my lateness is due to optimism, not to lack of trying. I optimistically cling to the faulty belief that “this time” I will be able to get more done in less time than ever before. But I can't, and I don't, so I end up having to apologize yet again for my failure to show up on time. 
In contrast, God is always on time. We may think He's late, but He's not. Throughout Scripture we read about people becoming impatient with God’s timing. 

However, two who did have the patience and trust to wait on God are described in Luke’s account of the Messiah coming to mankind [see Luke 2:25-38] … two who had faithfully waited on their promised One all of their lives; … and finally, … in the course of God’s perfect timing, He allowed His Temple servants, Simeon and Anna, to see their Lord face-to-face.

BUT … perhaps we’ve waited faithfully for God to act - even to fulfill what we believe to be His will, - and God’s timing just doesn’t seem to match our desires. … UGH!! … Well, that’s what Sara Groves sings about in her song, linked above. It can be really tough to live up to the truth of Proverbs 3: 5-6, can’t it? But trusting in our God and waiting on HIS timing, which is always perfect, is what we’re often called to do.

I’ve got several long-term prayers which have gone seemingly unanswered for years. How about you? … Well, let’s keep praying … and trusting … that God knows best when to answer our desires with His will.

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … Lord, help me to be patient and wait on You faithfully, knowing that Your timing is perfect. ... Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: