Sunday, December 04, 2016

December 4, 2016 ... God’s Truth Treasure

Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 339

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from the Maranatha Singers singing … Thy Word … poignantly singing of the value of God’s word to lead us to His glory.


=============
Highlight Verse: Psalm 119:162 [NKJV] … 
162 I rejoice in Your word as one who finds great treasure. 
… Do we see God’s word as a treasure trove from Him to His family?
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 119: 161-168… USE THIS LINK
… The Psalmist expresses the reality of the treasure he cherished which is God’s word
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : ... Isaiah 55:11 … 
11 So shall My Word be that goes forth from My mouth. It shall not return to Me void. But it shall accomplish what I pleas, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. 
… God’s promise of the priceless treasure which is ours from possessing His word.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Keila Ochoa, writes of a significant archeological find in Mexico. She writes: In 1932, Mexican archaeologist Alfonso Caso discovered Tomb 7 at Monte Alban, Oaxaca. He found more than four hundred artifacts, including hundreds of pieces of pre-Hispanic jewelry he called “The Treasure of Monte Alban.” [see attached photo] It is one of the major finds of Mexican archaeology. One can only imagine Caso’s excitement as he held a jade cup in its purest form. 

What great joy Caso, the archeologist, must have sensed holding the treasure trove he discovered, much of it glimmering in priceless gold. But thousands of years earlier, a psalmist, the author of Psalm 119, wrote of a treasure which was an even more valuable gift from God. And to this Old Testament believer, God’s word was the greatest treasure on earth; and it had transformed His life and was leading him to glory.

Today the ODB author summarizes the comparison between the treasure discovered by Alfonso Cast and the treasure depicted in Psalm 119 and the song sung by The Maranatha Singers (linked above). Ochoa wrote: Caso’s name is remembered today because of his discovery in Tomb 7. We can enjoy it if we visit a museum in Oaxaca. However, the psalmist’s treasure is at our fingertips. Day by day we can dig into the Scriptures and find diamonds of promises, rubies of hope, and emeralds of wisdom. But by far the greatest thing we find is the person whom the book points to: Jesus Himself. After all, He is the Author of the book. 

My friends, every day when I come into my quiet place to be with God to start my day and to write these journal thoughts, I have the opportunity to share in the greatest treasure on earth, given to mankind to save us from ourselves and lead us to eternal life. My treasure trove is God’s word; and I pray that anyone reading here shares in this treasure with me.

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, Your word is my greatest treasure from You. It has saved me; and it lights my way to You every day. ... Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: