Saturday, May 05, 2018

May 5, 2018 … Consuming Truth

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 124 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song and lyrics from the group Keith & Kristyn Getty singing … Speak, O Lord … poignantly singing of the reality of how God speaks to His children thru His word.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Deuteronomy 6:6, 8 [NLT] … 6 And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. … 8 Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. 
… God knew, and taught, that God’s people could only know and follow His truth if they were committed to following His word.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Deuteronomy 6:1-9 [NLT] …USE THIS LINK
… God’s teaching that His truth (i.e., His word) is to lead His people always.
=============

Reference Passage : … Psalm 119:9-11 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
 … Consuming and following God’s truth (i.e., His word) allows a believer to avoid sin in our lives.

Reference Passage : … Isaiah 55:11 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God gives us His word so that we can follow His purposes (i.e., His will) for our lives.

Reference Passage : … John 14:21 [NLT] … 21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.” 
… Jesus’ command to obey Him; but we can’t obey His commands if we don’t know them.

Reference Passage : … 2 Timothy 3:16-17 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God’s word (i.e, ALL SCRIPTURE) gives us God’s GPS to follow Him; but if we don’t know or use the GPS, we’ll easily get lost in life.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Amy Boucher Pye, used a personal story about how she came to memorize God’s word. … The ODB author wrote: My mile-long walk home from dropping off my daughter at her school gives me the opportunity to memorize some verses from the Bible—if I’m intentional about doing so. When I take those minutes to turn over God’s Word in my mind, I often find them coming back to me later in the day, bringing me comfort and wisdom. 

Early in my discipleship as a new Christian, a mentor recognized how biblically illiterate I was; so, he led me thru an 18 month trek, teaching me how to contextualize, memorize, and internalize Scripture. He led me thru the Navigator’s Topical Memory System [SEE THIS LINK]. And completing this discipleship task changed my life more than any other discipline which my mentor led me to adopt to become more like Christ.

And you may ask why consuming and memorizing God’s word (in proper context) is so important. Well, if you take in today’s linked song and meditate thoroughly on the Scriptures above, you’ll have the answer to that question.

BUT … the question is NOT whether God’s word CAN lead us to follow His will. NO, … the question is … are we willing to learn and know His word to be able to follow His will. I’ve experienced the outcome of consuming God’s word; and it’s why I’m here EVERY DAY, taking in more if His truth and journaling about it here … to be able to do what Jesus commanded me in Luke 9:23 [I hope you have that one memorized!!]. And I’ll be back here tomorrow, digging deeper into His truth some more. So, … come back and let’s do it together!!

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for Your perfect truth which guides my life to follow You.
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … bring me back her tomorrow to get to know You more intimately thru Your word. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: