Tuesday, January 28, 2020

January 28, 2020 … An Old Clay Pot

Berry Patch Devotions in 2020 - Day 28 

Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song and lyrics from the group Hillsong singing … The Potter’s Hand … poignantly singing of how we Christians are fashioned into the image of Christ when we surrender to the Potter’s hand.

Ancient Hebrew Clay Pot

=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 2Corinthians 4:7 [ESV] ...  7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.  
… Paul’s word picture of our lives being like old jars of clay, containing the treasure of God’s grace thru His Spirit to share with others.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 2Corinthians 4:7-12 [ESV] ... USE THIS LINK ...
… The Apostle Paul used the imagery of Christians having the treasure of God’s Spirit contained in old jars of clay, … broken but never destroyed.
==============

Reference Passage : … Isaiah 64:8 [ESV] … 8  But now, O Lord, You are our Father; … we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of Your hand. 
… God, thru the Prophet Isaiah, shows that we are the clay in the “Potter’s” hands.

Reference Passage : … Romans 9:19-21 [ESV] … USE THIS LINK
… Again Paul uses the imagery of us - Christians - being shaped and reshaped into the image of Christ.

Reference Passage : … Philippians 1:6 [ESV] … 6 And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. 
… God, the “Potter,” is going to complete us in glory, shaping us now into His own image.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David H Roper, uses an biblical word picture of Christians being like old clay pots, being shaped into the image of Christ by the “Potter’s” hands. … The ODB author wrote: I’ve acquired a number of old clay pots over the years. [see photo] My favorite was excavated from a site dated during Abraham’s time. It’s at least one item in our home that is older than I! It’s not much to look at: stained, cracked, chipped, and in need of a good scrubbing. I keep it to remind me that I’m just a man made out of mud. Though fragile and weak, I carry an immeasurably precious treasure—Jesus. “We have this treasure [Jesus] in jars of clay” (2 Corinthians 4:7). 

The Old/New Testament word picture of of followers of the One True God being, as the group Hillsong sings in the linked song, molded by God, “the Potter,” into the image of His Son and our Savior, is an apt one for this old clay pot. And sometimes, at my age, I feel a lot like that ancient pot in the attached photo.

But I know that my Lord, is shaping, … and yes, even reshaping, … this old pot; and I’m blessed to contain the ultimate treasure [see highlight passage], … i.e., His Spirit, … which He wants me to pour out into the lives of others so that they might overflow with His love and grace in this world. And I pray that we carry that treasure in these old pots of ours to share with others today 

=============
My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, Jesus, … for filling this old pot with Your treasure of love and grace.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... I pray, Lord, that all reading here will join me today, to be filled with God’s treasure of grace and to pour out as much as we can on others today. Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.</ span>

No comments: