Friday, December 13, 2013

December 13, 2013 … Chosen … Called

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 347

Devotional Song: Go to this link  – Please take your time to see a video of the poignant calling in song, performed by Daniel O’Donnell singing Here Am I, Lord, a proclamation of obedience to God’s calling.
=============


 Highlight Passage #1a - NLT: Job 36: 15  
15 But by means of their suffering, He rescues those who suffer. For He gets their attention through adversity. 
Highlight Passage #1b - NKJV: Job 36: 15  
15 He delivers the poor in their affliction, and opens their ears in oppression. 
============
Highlight Context - NLT: Job, Chapter 36 … GO TO THIS LINK … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Revelation 3: 20 … … [NKJV]  
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.

Reference Passage #2: Isaiah 55: 8-9 … … [NLG]  
8 “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD. And My ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. 9 For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so My ways are higher than your ways and My thoughts higher than your thoughts.

Reference Passage #3: Romans 8: 28 … [NKJV]  
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, … to those who are the called according to His purpose.

My Journal for Today: Take a look at the rather clever photo attached which I ripped off the internet to illustrate my blog today. It says a lot … at least to me, illustrating that at any moment God may be using His word or the circumstances of our lives to call out to us; … or maybe even to use me to call out to you here today.

In today’s highlight passage in Job 36: 15, God was using a young man, Elihu, to call out and speak a word of truth to the poor, suffering Job. And in the book of Revelation, Jesus was calling out to the lukewarm church in Laodicea [see Rev 3: 20], proclaiming that He wanted to have a deeper relationship with them if they would but hear His call and open the door unto that relationship.

It humbles me to think that God may be using my very words to call out to someone who needs to read what God is leading me to write in this blog this morning. And the truth of God’s word, in calling out through Isaiah (see Is. 55: 8-9 copied above), rings with clarity here, doesn’t it? Truly God’s ways and His messages to those who love Him (see Romans 8: 28) may be difficult to follow at times because His ways are way beyond ours; but it was true for Job, and it most certainly was true for me, that all things in our lives, no matter how obscure or challenging, involve calling out to His beloved. And if you join me in claiming Christ as your Lord and Savior, as do I, my friend, right now, through His words or mine, He may well be speaking to you.

So, as the photo illustrates, we need to “pick up the phone” and listen to His word or the circumstances in our lives. Use the song link above and meditate on Daniel O’Donnell singing about his hearing God’s call and making the commitment to follow His Lord. Let’s do the same today when we “hear” Him calling.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, Here I am, Lord. Shine Your light on my path and I’ll follow. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online blog entitled Today God Is First [TGIF], authored by Os Hillman. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read Hillman’s TGIF blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: