Monday, June 15, 2015

June 15, 2015 … Looking Upward

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 166

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK  … Please take the time to take in a video of tBebo Norman, singing I Will Lift My eyes … with a prayer of how we, as Christians, must lift our eyes above our circumstances to the our Maker … the Maker of all the mountains we can’t climb - but the mountains HE created.


Highlight Passage Psalm 121: 1-2 [NKJV] … 
I will lift up my eyes to the hills - from whence comes my help? 2 My help comes from the Lord Who made heaven and earth. 
… From childhood to glory, we keep learning God’s way from His word.
============
Highlight Context - Psalm 121 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK
… One of David’s songs of ascent … which he wrote for God’s people to sing as they looked to come to Jerusalem for several of the feasts of deliverance which the Jews celebrated the City of David
============

Reference Passage #1 - Psalms 89: 1-2 [NKJV] USE THIS LINK ...
… Looking up to sing of God’s mercies forever

Reference Passage #2 - Psalms 122 [NKJV] USE THIS LINK ...
… The Joy of going up to Jerusalem to worship God in peace

Reference Passage #3 - Psalms 123: 1 [NKJV] … 
Unto You I lift up my eyes, … O You who dwell in the heavens. 
… David looking up to the Lord as he sings of His praises.

Reference Passage #4 - Proverbs 3: 5-6 [NKJV] USE THIS LINK ...
… Look up! … Trust Him … Follow Him!

Reference Passage #5 - Lamentations 3: 22-23 [NKJV] … 
22 Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. 23 They are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness!! 
… Jeremiah sings of God’s mercies - new every morning in His faithfulness.

  My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread author, David C McCasland, used a personal story to illustrate his ODB teaching. He wrote - In a park near our home there’s a trail I enjoy walking on. Along one section there’s a panoramic view of red sandstone rocks in the Garden of the Gods with the majestic 14,115-foot Pikes Peak behind them [see attached photo]. From time to time, though, I find myself walking that section occupied with some problem and looking down at the wide, smooth trail. If no one is around, I may stop and say aloud, “David, look up!” 

I’ve been to the place where today’s ODB author refers and have seen the scenario depicted in the attached photo; and it is magnificent to view the majesty of Pike’s Peak through the red canyons which God has hewn from the earth in the park known as the “Garden of the Gods.” And when you know the story behind the Psalms 120-134 [David’s Songs of Ascent], … several quoted as references today, … you can see why David wrote these songs to help God’s people look upward to God as they headed to Jerusalem for several of the annual worship festivals. The people in that day would sing these songs as they traveled to the City of David for Temple worship, looking ever upward to that great city, which symbolized the presence of God for them, … no matter what their life’s circumstances happened to be as they sang these great songs of deliverance.

 I don’t know where you are in life right now; but I know - for all of us - it’s time to LOOK UP and see our majestic God and to sing of His greatness and mercy, which is new every morning [see Lam. 3: 22-23]. And do I sense, a hearty “HALLELUJAH” as we listen to Bebo Norman singing the linked song above. Please take the time to use this link and LOOK UP to our God today … no matter where we may be walking, or what we might be experiencing.

My Prayer Today: Oh Lord, … I look up to You!! Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: