Sunday, December 02, 2018

December 2, 2018 … My Strong Fortress

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 335 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube of song and lyrics from Amy Grant singing … Thy Word … poignantly singing of how we, as surrendered Christians, can escape into the protection of our our Lord by going to His word.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 17:8 [NLT] … 8  Guard me as You would guard Your own eyes. Hide me in the shadow of your wings. 
… David knew where (and to Whom) to go for protection in perilous times.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 17:1-9 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… King David sings about going to His God for protection.
=============

Reference Passage : … Psalm 18:2 [NLT] … 2  The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my Savior; my God is my rock, in Whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. 
… Where I (we) go for safety!

Reference Passage : … Matthew 7:24 [NLT] … 24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.. 
… God’s word is my solid rock!

Reference Passage : … Hebrews 4:12 [NLT] … 12 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. 
… And knowing the power of God’s Sword I sharpen His sword daily by being in God’s word.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Bill Crowder, relates a personal story about his childhood where friends built imaginary fortresses, asking where we build ours now. The ODB author writes … My brothers and I grew up on a wooded hillside in West Virginia that provided a fertile landscape for our imaginations. Whether swinging from vines like Tarzan or building tree houses like the Swiss Family Robinson, we played out the scenarios we found in the stories we read and movies we watched. One of our favorites was building forts and then pretending we were safe from attack [see photo]. Years later, my kids built forts out of blankets, sheets, and pillows—constructing their own “safe place” against imaginary enemies. It seems almost instinctive to want a hiding place where you can feel safe and secure. 

Dear one, … where do you go when you feel unsafe? Where is your fortress, protecting you against the evils of this world? Well, … mine is right here!! And each morning, safely surrounded by the truth of God’s word, I feel secure, knowing that God’s word, as Amy Grant sings, is not only a lamp unto my feet, but it is the Rock on which I find safety from the world, Satan, and my own flesh. And it’s where I come each morning to sharpen my Sword of the Spirit for battle [see Hebrews 4:12]. 

How about you? Where have you built your fortress?

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, … for surrounding me with the strength and fortress of Your truth.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I pray, Lord, that all reading here have built our fortress on the Rock of God’s truth, … His Word! … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: