Sunday, April 12, 2009

2009 – Day 101.Apr. 12 – A Humble Servant

2009 – Day 101.Apr. 12 – A Humble Servant

Passage of the Day: 1st Samuel 16: 1 – 11 …
Link to study passage …

My Journal for Today:
God was on a mission to replace Saul with HIS MAN; and He found that man out in the fields, tending the flocks of Jesse. And in this young man, David, the shepherd boy, God saw the one quality God would need most in replacing the arrogant Saul. God saw in David a servant’s heart. He saw humility.

Obviously God had had it with the prideful Saul as the King of His people; and in David he saw the heart and character which He could most use as His King; and that was the humility of a servant. And so, as Swindoll points out, we read in God’s word that God chose this young shepherd. And you can read God, characterized in song, saying in Psalm 89: 20 … “I have found my servant David; and with My holy oil I anoint him.”

And as I read that pronouncement, the psalmist attributed to be Ethan, the Ezrahite, I recognized that God has chosen me as well. Oh, no, I’ve not been chosen to be a king as was David; but God did reach out into the field of my life; and He has anointed me with His salvation. Somehow in my moment of surrender years ago, God saw enough humility in my heart to give me that wonderful life-saving gift; and my God has now set before me a life plan, for which He feels I’m worthy enough to serve Him. And if you have received God’s saving grace of Christ as your Savior and Lord, you have been deemed humble enough to become His servant as well. Now, all we, as servants of the Living God, need to be is humble enough to have a heart, like David as a young boy, to serve our God without question and most certainly without pride.

Did David have that servant’s character all the days of his life? Well, if you know David’s life story, you know that David had his failings. And yes, there were some big-time failings; but even with colossal breeches of character, God knew that David would be “a man after His own heart” for the long haul. … And now is the time for me and you to ask ourselves, “Are we men or women of God; and would you or I be considered to be God’s humble servant?” Have we chosen to dedicate our lives to serving God and the plan He has chosen for our lives?

God doesn’t want image or charisma or even a lot of intelligence. His model of servanthood and humility in our Savior – or in a young shepherd king like David - tells us that all He wants is one who will serve Him. And I can only pray that I can choose to be humble enough to become more like my Savior today than yesterday and even more a servant of My Heavenly Father tomorrow than I was today.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, have mercy and help me! Amen

No comments: