Sunday, April 26, 2009

2009 – Day 115.Apr. 26 – Walking In Victory

2009 – Day 115.Apr. 26 – Walking In Victory

Passage of the Day: 1st Samuel 18: 8 - 15 …
Linked for your study …

My Journal for Today:
The contrast between these two men is stark; and from this study of character, we learn a great lesson. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that David kept his focus on God; and he walked in victory. Whereas Saul became a prisoner to his own fears and jealousy; and he walked into a self-induced prison of paranoia.

So, we see the answer to the question, “How does a Christian walk in victory?” And the answer is right there, modeled by David. He focused on the Savior (i.e., God) and avoided the trap of falling prey to fear and reacting in anger. In spite of Saul’s hatred and even his aggressive anger, David CHOSE to love his king and to serve him; and he also chose to flee (as we’ll read later) rather than to strike back at his king.

David never took his eyes off of God; and as I sit here, reflecting on today’s passage, I have begun humming that old hymn, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, which has the formula which David used in the face of stress and worldly terror. In fact, I just plugged in my Ipod; and I’m listening to Alisa Dishong sing that old hymn …

Oh soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see.
There’s life for a look at my Savior,
And life more abundant and free.

[The Chorus] Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face;
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.

Oh, how I love returning to this old song and singing its truth, especially when I allow myself to look inward at self rather than looking outward to my Savior. In fact, this morning as I listened to Alisa singing this beautiful truth, my mind/heart was taken to a parallel truth from God which I memorized years ago. It’s found in the formula Paul declared in his powerful exclamation from Galatians 6: 9, which says, And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

Oh how Satan and the world want us to get wrapped up in self and to take our eyes off of the Savior. And as soon as that happens, we can fall prey to the same demons which captured Saul’s spirit … fear, jealousy, and even paranoia. But if we do not grow weary and look inward to self, keeping our eyes on our Lord, as did David, the ways and circumstances of life, the darkness of our world, will be diminished by the Light of the Savior, … in the light of His glory and grace.

It is my prayer this morning that you know and remember that old hymn and you have joined me, singing the words above to your own heart, no matter what things of this earth are trying to capture your spirit. As Paul also wrote to Timothy (in 2nd Tim. 1: 7 – paraphrased), … you have not been given, as a Christian, a spirit of fear, but rather a Spirit of love and power and of a sound mind. Never forget those truths above, dear one; and let the Spirit of God shine God’s Light into your heart to diminish the darkness of despair and doubt which our enemies would try to bring into your life.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, You are my Light. Shine brightly so that I may follow Your path, fleeing from Satan and self, and keeping my eyes on You, my Jesus. Amen

No comments: