Thursday, April 09, 2009

2009 – Day 98.Apr. 9 – God’s Plan – My Choice

2009 – Day 98.Apr. 9 – God’s Plan – My Choice

Passage of the Day: 1st Samuel 15: 1 – 19 …
Link to study passage …

My Journal for Today:
What we have in today’s passage, about God giving Saul the plan of attack for life, is a classic example of man knowing God’s will and that man letting ego get in the way of obedience. It is man acting on man’s idea rather than following God’s will. It is choosing self over the Savior. And as any Christian reads this story, it is so easy to condemn Saul, thinking “What a fool he was, ignoring God’s clear plan and doing what he thought would make him look good in the eyes of his people!!” But are any of us any that different than Saul?”

Don’t we all have a tendency to do things our own way, rather than God’s way? Aren’t we all guilty, at times, of letting ego get in the way of even seeking and carrying God’s plan for our lives? Haven’t you ever had a scenario where you went on ahead and did things your own way rather than heeding what is clearly set out in God’s word (i.e., His will) for our lives? Well, if you just answered “No” to those questions, you’re a better person than I am; and praise God for your willingness to seek out God’s way; and then to follow it with no consideration of selfish ambition.

Actually, I look at what Saul did in this story as the natural and logical way to go. What God had asked of him was totally illogical and seemingly over the top, asking Saul to kill everything in sight, including the eradication of all of the spoils of victory. And herein we have what is tough about seeing things through God’s eyes as opposed to what seems right in our own eyes. God’s way is God’s way; and when He shows us what His way is, our way is not His. The choice often is clear; but in our own minds we have a tendency to do it our way – the way which seems logical or natural.

Saul had been anointed to be the king of God’s people; and this story shows how clearly he was not suited to be God’s leader. No matter how high up God’s providence allows us to climb in the pecking order of man, we are still UNDER God’s plan; and as God’s word says so clearly – at least to me as I sit here and think about it from Isaiah 55: 8 – 9 [link provided] – my ways are never as high as God’s ways and my mind is never to be set above God’s.

So, what does this tell us? It says that I must always be seeking after God’s will and His way; and then when I know what it is, I must follow it, no matter how tough God’s commands might be and how illogical they may seem. And yes, that will be very hard at times; but Jesus said it clearly to His disciples in Luke 9: 23 (a passage you should have memorized if you’ve been following my journal entries because of how often I quote it!). Jesus wants me to deny my self, to take up the crosses of life (i.e., those things which are hard to do for God), and to simply follow Him. Yes, I said “simply” follow our God. However, as you’re probably thinking now, “It’s not always simple to carry out God’s commands.” But note that I didn’t say “easy;” I said “simple.” God’s way, often as we get it from His word, is SIMPLE; but it’s almost never EASY. But as Saul would learn in his life, when we ignore God’s will or plan, especially when they’re clearly laid out, we will pay the price of disobedience.

Saul ultimately had to learn this lesson and in the end of his life he paid a terrible price. I hope – no, I pray - I learn the lesson of obedience and to be Christ’s loyal disciple before I have to pay the price for my disobedience.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, help me to be Your obedient servant. Amen

No comments: