Sunday, April 19, 2009

2009 – Day 108.Apr. 19 – “Music’s” Effective Ministry

2009 – Day 108.Apr. 19 – “Music’s” Effective Ministry

Passage of the Day: 1St Samuel 16: 21 - 23 … 21 So David came to Saul and stood before him. And he [Saul] loved him greatly, and he [David] became his [Saul’s] armorbearer. 22 Then Saul sent to Jesse, saying, “Please let David stand before me, for he has found favor in my sight.” 23 And so it was, whenever the spirit from God was upon Saul, that David would take a harp and play it with his hand. Then Saul would become refreshed and well, and the distressing spirit would depart from him.

My Journal for Today: Did you know that you can make “music” for God? Oh, you may say, as my Pastor might, “Bill, I can’t sing a lick?” But my Pastor, Dr. Ernie, doesn’t let that silence his song. He knows that when he sings to/for God, as off key as the world may hear him, the angels in heaven feel and hear the joy God has imparted into Ernie’s soul. And when I’m around Ernie as he’s singing, his joyful singing, as off key on earth as it might be, is infectious; and I can feel God’s joy emanating from my Brother; … and I feel God’s goodness too. And that is beautiful “singing.”

But David not only sang God’s joy from the heart; he apparently had a song-writing and singing talent which was soothing to Saul’s troubled heart; and David’s song ministered to the heart and soul of this troubled king. What is your “song” which God can use to soothe the savage beast of your fellow man? I put “song” in quotes because your talent or gift may not be musical singing, as is the case for my Pastor. But, maybe you have the “song” of service to give to someone who needs your help. Maybe you have the “song” of mercy to “sing” for someone who desperately needs your merciful touch. Perhaps your “song” of encouragement can reach out and lift up someone, like a king Saul, who is down or depressed and needs the “song” you might have to affirm or unburden that broken-spirited brother or sister.

We may not be able to “sing” musically; but I firmly believe we all have a “song” to sing from the talents and gifts God has given us. And I hope I’m not being too obtuse here with my word picture. My Pastor, who can’t sing a lick, brightens up a room by just walking into it; and he can make me feel like I’m the most important person in the world by just coming up to me, with his ear-to-ear smile and asking, “How’re you doin Bill B.?” When he greets me that way, sometimes hugging me or whacking me on my back, I know I’m loved by my Shepherd; and I feel God’s love coming through my Pastor’s caring acknowledgment. When he does that for me, my brother and friend, Ernie, is “singing” God’s song of love to my soul.

When you reach out and cook a meal for someone who has lost a loved one, you are “singing” God’s caring love for that person? When you share a hug for an unloved or maybe unlovely person whom God has put in your path, you are “singing” in tune with the angels and God’s song is heard by that under appreciated soul. When you help a depressed and lost soul see the love of Christ by sharing your Christian testimony, you “sing” the song of salvation for that desperate and lost person.

So, my fellow Christian choir member, “sing” out for Christ. Someone needs your “song;” someone needs to hear you “singing” with the joy and love of the Lord which you can share with others, … others who probably desperately need to hear God’s love being “sung” by you. But don’t worry that your “song” may not be in tune with the world’s “singing.” Just remember the story I related some days ago from the old Jewish story of the mentally challenged boy who sang loudly and off-key in the Temple, making everyone else feel uncomfortable; until one day when the heaven’s appeared during Sabbath service and the retarded boy was shown to be singing in tune with the heavenly chorus of Angels.

My friend, any time you reach out with God’s love to another troubled soul who needs God’s joy or His peace, you are “singing” God’s song; and you are in tune with the Angels. So, you take your talents or your gifts and you “sing” that song for God in the presence of someone who needs to hear your Godly “song.” The world may hear your “singing” as off key; but always remember that you’ll be singing with God and for God’s glory when you “sing” your song to lift up someone who needs to hear that “song.”

My Prayer for Today: Lord, I sing Your song. Help me to sing it loudly and boldly to those who need to hear it. Amen

No comments: