Sunday, October 20, 2013

October 20, 2013 … God’s Lighthouse

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 293

Devotional Song: Go to this link -  Please take the time to meditate on this powerful song and video, the song sung by the group, Selah, singing Be Thou My Vision, … reminding Christians that our path as Christians is guided by God’s great light and HE is our vision to follow.
=============

Highlight Passage: Proverbs 3: 5-6 … [Again … His way … is ALWAYS … THE way.] … [NLT]  
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. 
6 Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take.
===========
Highlight reading study of Proverbs, Chapter 3, Verses 5-12 : Go to this link … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Luke 9: 23 … [Oh, how I pray you have this one memorized and internalized.] … [NLT] …  
23 Then He [Jesus] said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be My follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily, and follow Me.

My Journal for Today: I think Os Hillman, my devotional author, is trying to hit hard on a point of God being our direction-finder in life, … what today I’ll call our “Lighthouse.” Just a few days ago (see my devotional at this link for Oct. 17) I used the word picture of God being our “GPS” for life; and here I am calling Him our “Lighthouse.” And in today’s devotional song link, you can hear the group Selah singing the old 6th Century Irish hymn, Be Thou My Vision, where we are reminded to seek and find God’s way by following HIS vision for life.


Well, I think a lighthouse is a good word picture to describe God being our directional source to travel in life, don’t you? Like the picture attached, He is our light in the midst of life’s storms. As Selah sings, linked above, God’s Spirit is our vision when life gets foggy or stormy. And as the ever repeated highlight verse for today proclaims, we need to seek and follow God’s light, avoiding our own faulty, human, directional systems to travel through the darkness … which is this world and life.

Probably my most oft-repeated daily prayer, which I’ll be repeating below, is for God to shine His light so brightly that I, with my narrow-sightedness, can follow His ways from His will; and most often from His word, to keep my ship of life from being broken up in the storms of life.

I don’t think I need go on with this. I would say that any Christian reading here with me can identify with this picture and Christ’s charge (yes, once again!) to deny our own feeble direction finders and to follow His (yes, again, see Luke 9: 23, which surely you have memorized by now).

My Prayer for Today … Oh, Lord, as I pray so often, … shine Your light so clearly today that I can’t help but see it and follow Your way for me. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online blog entitled Today God Is First [TGIF], authored by Os Hillman. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read Hillman’s TGIF blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: