Monday, October 28, 2013

October 28, 2013 … God’s Vision

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 301

Devotional Song: Go to this link -  Please take the time to meditate on this poignant worship song and video, sung by Alison Kraus, leading a group in worship and singing Be Thou My Vision, … calling all Christians to let Jesus, our Messiah, to be our vision in life.
=============
Highlight Passage: 2nd Kings 6: 17 … [May our eyes of faith be opened to see life with God’s eyes.] … [NLT]  
17 Then Elisha prayed, “O LORD, open his eyes and let him see!” The LORD opened the young man’s eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire.
=============
Highlight Passage: 2nd Kings, Chapter 6, Verses 1-23… GO TO THIS LINK … [NLT] 
============

Reference Passage #1: Hebrews 11: 1-3 … [Faith becomes our eyes of God, letting us see glimpses of His glory.] … [NLT] …  
1 Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see. 2 Through their faith, the people in days of old earned a good reputation. 3 By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God’s command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen.

Reference Passage #2: Acts 2: 14-21 … [The vision from Joel 2: 28-32 becomes reality on the day of Pentecost.] … [NLT] …GO TO THIS LINK


My Journal for Today: Have you seen the movie, Field of Dreams, where an Iowa farmer has this vision of building a baseball field, fashioned from his cornfield? He hears a voice saying, “Built it and they will come.” At first, quite logically, he resists the vision and the voices. But finally, he surrenders to the vision; and he begins to follow the dream, building the baseball field of his dreams. And when he does this, of course, those around him think the farmer crazy; but he forges ahead to build the ball field. And when he finishes, baseball players from the past, including the man’s father, come to the field to play ball. Nobody else can see the famous big leaguers, except for the farmer; but he doesn’t care, because he knows – by faith – that the vision was real.

Of course, the movie is a fantasy; but it illustrates a startling and wonderful reality. And it’s a reality which came true in my life. Oh, … be assured, I’ve never had voices telling me to build a baseball field; but I have had glimpses of God’s glory in my life which have become the very real dreams of being with God one day and letting my faith allow me see visions of His glory … just as Elisha’s protégé was allowed to see way beyond the here-and-now, being able to see God’s vision on the hope of our future [see the passage, linked above, from the Old Testament in 2nd Kings, Chapter 6].

Hundreds of years before Jesus was born in Bethlehem, the prophet Joel had a vision and prophesied a time when God’s Spirit would descend upon His people; and we now know from Acts 2: 14-21, linked above, that this prophesy (i.e., God’s vision) became reality when the Spirit fell upon the people responding to the Apostle Peter’s Pentecostal sermon. Yes, we who come to surrender in faith and repent of our sins, desiring with all our heart to be obedient to God, will ultimately see the reality of our “field of dreams” when we are with Jesus in glory.

A little over thirty years ago, in my office, early in the morning, I set aside all my all my previously-held biases and prejudices against Christ; and God swept the blinders from my eyes, allowing me to see just a glimpse of His glory, … promising me the spiritual strength I had been seeking to cover my very human and habitual weaknesses. And He did just that! And from that moment where the scales were shed from my eyes, I’ve been allowed to see many more glimpses of glory down the road of my life, vision which has assured me that the greatest dream and reality lies ahead when I’m with my Savior in heaven.

Oh, how I pray that you’ve had the scales taken from your eyes; and you’ve been able to respond with the eyes of faith so that you could begin to build a field of dreams in your life.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, for any who’ve come here in faith, reading with me in this place, may we be given moments or seasons of vision so that we can follow Your light … all the way to Your glory. Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online blog entitled Today God Is First [TGIF], authored by Os Hillman. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read Hillman’s TGIF blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: