Wednesday, October 30, 2013

October 30, 2013 … God’s Power

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 303

Devotional Song: Go to this link -  Please take the time to meditate on this powerful song with the group Hillsong, leading worship, singing Jesus, You’re All I Need, … reminding us to overcome any spirit of fear being used by Satan to defeat our purpose to follow our Lord. … And then GO THIS LINK  to hear another song, sung by Stephen Curtis Chapman, singing His Strength Is Perfect, … reminding Christians that God gives us what we need to cover our weakness.
=============


Highlight Passage: 1st Samuel 17: 37 … [No fear of any Goliath!] … [NLT]  
37 The LORD who rescued me from the claws of the lion and the bear will rescue me from this Philistine!” … Saul finally consented. “All right, go ahead,” he said. “And may the LORD be with you!” 
============
 Highlight Passage: 1st Samuel, Chapter 17, Verses 32-51… GO TO THIS LINK … [NLT] … 
============

Reference Passage #1: 2nd Timothy 1: 7 … [Subbing God’s power for our weakness.] … [NLT]  
7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

Reference Passage #3: 1st John 4: 4 … [He that is in us is ALWAYS more powerful than he who rules this world.] … [NLT] …
4 But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world.

Reference Passage #3: 1st Corinthians 12: 9 … [God’s strength for our weakness; … a good swap.] … [NLT] … 9 Each time He [Jesus] said,My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 

My Journal for Today: I think all Christians are drawn to the story of David & Goliath because we all have “goliaths” in our lives where Satan is trying to use our very human fears to waylay us and deter us from our pursuit of Christ in faith. Hence, Os Hillman today refers me and his readers back to that Old Testament class in 1st Samuel, Chapter 17 where a young, brash and anointed David was able to overcome Goliath because he KNEW that his God was stronger that the giant.

It’s like Paul declared to his young protégé, Timothy, … [see 2nd Tim. 1: 7 above] … that we need not succumb to a spirit of fear in our lives because, as Paul also declared, with God’s inspiration, in 1st John 4: 4 and 2nd Cor. 12: 9 that our God is ALWAYS stronger than Satan, who will almost always try to use a spirit (His Spirit) of fear to discourage or distract us from pursuing a deep and abiding relationship with Christ.

The question is … are we going to let Satan use his spirit of fear to overcome THE SPIRIT of the living God within us to deter, distract, or discourage us from our carrying out God’s will for our lives?

I think NOT, my fellow Christian; and I pray not today!!

My Prayer for Today … Lord, as we hear in the songs linked here today, give us Your strength to overcome any spirit of fear which Your enemy uses to discourage us. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online blog entitled Today God Is First [TGIF], authored by Os Hillman. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read Hillman’s TGIF blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: