Saturday, February 07, 2015

February 7, 2015 … Happy Birthday !! or ??

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 38

Devotional Song: ... Go to this link  … Please take the time to take in a video of an anonymous duo singing … Great Is Thy Faithfulness, … expressing the truth and reality of a forever relationship with Christ.


Highlight Passage Psalm 71: 6 [NKJV] … 
6 By You I have been upheld from birth; You are He who took me out of my mother’s womb. My praise shall be continually of You. … 
============
Highlight Context - Psalm 71: 5-18 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK
============
Reference Passage #1  Psalm 139: 13-16 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… David expresses the miracle of God’s faithfulness in bringing us life for His glory …

Reference Passage #2 Lamentations 3: 22-23 [NKJV] …
  22 Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. 23  They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. 
… Jeremiah declares our hope in a God whose mercies never end or fail us …

Reference Passage #4 Romans 12: 1-2 [NKJV] …
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. 

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, authored by Joe Stowell, reflects on how the emotional perspective on birthday celebrations changes over one’s life … if we are fortunate enough to live to - let’s say a riper old age. When one is 6 there is great happiness as I celebrated my birthday that I was no longer 5 and was becoming a “big boy.”

 But when one turns 40 or 50 or 60, there is a different attitude toward birthday celebrations, isn’t there (see attached photo)? But when our ODB author had a birthday in his later years, his wife helped him to have a less human, and more Godly, perspective. Stowell wrote in ODB today … ” Last year when I celebrated a birthday that marked me by decades more than by years, my wife, Martie, cheered me up with the reminder that I should be grateful to be growing older. She pointed me to Psalm 71, where the psalmist talks about God’s presence throughout his life. “ 

Not too long ago, I turned 71, the number of the Psalm today, which is highlighted in today’s ODB, … where, as Martie Stowell reminded her husband, the psalmist took the right perspective on the years God gives us to be here, … born by His providence and sustained by His grace. Should we not recognize the blessing that is life (see Psalms 71 and 139 referenced above); and then, being thankful for God’s mercies, which are new every morning (see Lamentations 3: 22-23, should we not commit to live as living sacrifices, as the Apostle Paul exhorted in Romans 12: 1-2?

 Personally, I stand convicted … to journal here, as the song linked above proclaims, “Great is Thy Faithfulness!!!” 

My Prayer for Today O Lord, … Help me remember what You have given me in this life; and may I live it for Your glory. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: