Monday, February 09, 2015

February 9, 2015 … 50 Years As One

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 40

Devotional Song: ... Go to this link  … Please take the time to take in a video of music and lyrics of Paul Stocky, along with Peter, Paul, and Marry singing Stookey’s poignant song… The Wedding Song, … expressing the reality of a man and woman becoming one in marriage as God designed the institution for mankind’s pro generation and if His glory.


Highlight Passage Genesis 2: 24 [NKJV] … 
24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh 
============
Highlight Context - Genesis 2: 18-25 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK
============

Reference Passage #1 - Ephesians 5: 22-33 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK …  
… Inspired by God’s Spirit … Paul gives Christians God’s instructions on marital relationships

Reference Passage #2 1st Peter 3: 1-7 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK …  
… Inspired by God’s Spirit … Peter gives his take on marriage

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, authored by Dave Branon, writes of how he met his wife, a cute little girl in a yellow raincoat. You can use the link below in the Blogger Note to read it. But Branon’s personal story caused me to reflect on how I met the girl who would become my bride, … a little Dutch girl who was the first “foreign exchange” student in my high school.

 Her Dutch accent was so compelling as I got to know her because our lockers were very close; and I was a very impressionable 16 years old at the time. And when this Dutch Senior in our school asked me to be her date to the junior-senior prom, I was a goner.

 It’s a long story of how we fell for one another, with two-years of teen-age correspondence as she went back to The Netherlands; and then how she came back over to emigrate to the USA. But next June 13th, we’ll have been married for 50 years, raising two daughters and becoming the grandparents of five beautiful, and healthy grandkids.

 No, it hasn’t all been a bed of roses and sweetness; but as God’s word says above, when we were married, half a century ago, we became one; and we have walked this road, called life, TOGETHER as one, traversing the rough roads as well as the joyous, smoother ones. But both of us, having found an individual and shared relationship with Christ, can now celebrate the melding of our spirits in Christ and our mutual decision to follow our Lord in marriage.

 If any reading here are married or aspire to marriage, I pray that you find what Elly, my wife, and I have found … that pursuing our individual relationships with Christ just brings us together more and more closely over time into the oneness that Christ has with His spouse, the church (see the Ephesians 5 and 1st Peter 5 passages linked above).

My Prayer for Today O Lord, … Thank You for the oneness You have given me in my wife. May I continue to treat her as You have Your Bride, The Church. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: