Thursday, September 21, 2017

September 21, 2017 … A Mother’s Prayer

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 264 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video and lyrics of Jaci Valesquez singing Dennis Jernigan’s song … On My Knees … poignantly singing of our need as Christians to get on our knees and pray for our needs.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Ephesians 6:18 [NLT] … 
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 
… God, thru Paul, commands us to pray in the Spirit for our fellow Christians.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Ephesians 6:18-19 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul exhorts Christians to pray in the Spirit for others.
=============

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Proverbs 22:6 [NLT] … 6 Start children off on the way they should go, and when they are old they will not turn from it. 
… Praying for our kids shows them that we love them and God loves them even more.

Reference Passage [NLT] : … John 15:7 [NLT] … 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 
 … Jesus exclaims the power of prayer when we’re obedient and faithful to His Name and for His glory.

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Philippians 4:6-7 [NLT] … 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 
… Prayer for our kids can reduce the anxiety of being a parent.

Reference Passage [NLT] : … 2 Timothy 1:5 [NLT] … 5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. 
… Paul recalled how Timothy’s mother and grandmother led him in the faith.

Reference Passage [NLT] : … James 5:16b [NLT] … 16 … The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. 
… James tells of the power of prayer from a righteous Christian.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Cindy Hess Kasper, uses a story of a mother praying for her son every morning and the effect it had on his faith. The ODB author wrote: Singer/songwriter Robert Hamlet wrote “Lady Who Prays for Me” as a tribute to his mother who made a point of praying for her boys each morning before they went to the bus stop. After a young mom heard Hamlet sing his song, she committed to praying with her own little boy. The result was heartwarming! Just before her son went out the door, his mother prayed for him. Five minutes later he returned—bringing kids from the bus stop with him! His mom was taken aback and asked what was going on. The boy responded, “Their moms didn’t pray with them.” 

We can see, in today’s ODB story, the effect of a parent praying with her boy has on the development of that child’s faith. Certainly the Scriptures provided today (above) attest to this truth. If any reader here had a parent who prayed intimately and regularly with him/her at a very young age, I would wager to say that you were well-grounded early in the faith. Oh, you may have wandered away; but it’s very likely that you came back to the Lord to Whom your parent(s) prayed with you at that early age.

I was not one of those. My parents never prayed with/for me as a young boy; but I did have a Heavenly Father Who pursued me to bring me to Himself at age 39. And now I often wonder what my earlier life might have been like if I had had parents with me as the mother in the ODB story. But it is what it is … and now I have the ultimate praying Parent, my Abba Father, praying for me every day.

PTL!!! And HALLELUJAH!!! for that; but if any reader here is a parent or grandparent, I’d exhort you to be praying with/for your kiddos openly, verbally, and regularly because it’s never too late to show them a Godly loved one who lifts them up in prayer (again, see all the reference passages above) .

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … King Jesus, … Dear Lord, … thank You for for being my loving Abba Father Who prays for me every day. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: