Sunday, September 03, 2017

September 3, 2017 … Giving Our All

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 246 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Brian Littrell singing the old hymn … I Surrender All … poignantly singing of what God desires of our worship.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Mark 18:43-44 [NLT] … 
43 Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions. 44 For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.” 
… Jesus teaches His Disciples on what giving in His Kingdom is all about.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Mark 18:38-44 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Jesus compared the heartless giving of the Pharisees with the surrendered giving of a widow, willing to give her all.
=============

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Luke 9:23 [NLT] …
23 Then He said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be My follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow Me. ..."
… Jesus teaches His followers on what it takes to follow Him.

Reference Passage [NLT] : … 2nd Corinthians 9:6-7 [NLT] …
6 Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. 7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” [Proverbs 22:8] 
… Paul repeats God’s law of reciprocity and teaches on how we must give our all as Jesus gave His all.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Xochitl Dixon, used a personal testimony to illustrate how we must give of ourselves, as Christians, cheerfully and sacrificially in service to our King, Jesus. The ODB author wrote: I use writing to worship and serve God, even more so now that health issues often limit my mobility. So, when an acquaintance said he found no value in what I wrote, I became discouraged. I doubted the significance of my small offerings to God. 
Through prayer, study of Scripture, and encouragement from my husband, family, and friends, the Lord affirmed that only He—not the opinions of other people—could determine our motives as a worshiper and the worth of our offerings to Him. I asked the Giver of all gifts to continue helping me develop skills and provide opportunities to share the resources He gives me. 

Oh, how I identify with the ODB author today. I do so desire to worship and serve my Lord by writing these daily blogs to honor His truth and to share His word with others. However, I do fall so short of the devotion and joyful giving which Jesus illustrated (and demanded) for His followers when He related the story of the widow giving her all to God’s treasury (see highlight passage).

And the ODB devotional this morning causes me to ask myself if I’m doing what Brian Littrell sings in the linked song … to surrender my all when I give my time, talents, and treasures for God’s kingdom. Oh, I share His truth/love here daily and joyously donate some of myself in follow Him, … just as He commanded and demanded in the reference passages above?

 … But do I give as the widow gave? … I think not! … I can do more. … But will I?

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Dear Lord, … Help me to give my all for You as You have given Your all for me. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: