Sunday, September 24, 2017

September 24, 2017 … Longing for Home!

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 267 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of image and lyrics from the group Highlands leading in worship … A Place Of Freedom … poignantly declaring that our ultimate home with Christ is a place of ultimate freedom and security.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Genesis 12:8 [NLT] … 
8 After that, Abram traveled south and set up camp in the hill country, with Bethel to the west and Ai to the east. There he built another altar and dedicated it to the Lord, and he worshiped the Lord. 
… Every day we “pitch our tents” (i.e., make decisions) which worship something … self, Satan, or the Savior. Which is it?
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Genesis 12: 1-9 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Abram was called by God to uproot his family and move to an unknown land where God’s promises were to be his; and in faith, to worship of His new God, Abram went to “pitch his tent” in a new land.
=============

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Hebrews 11:8-10, 11-16 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… From the “Hall of Faith” chapter in Hebrews, we read of Abram become Abraham and following God to a distant unknown land, where’s God’s promises were to be his.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Amy Boucher Pye, used a personal camping reference to teach on where our real home will be in glory. The ODB author wrote: Growing up in Minnesota, a place known for its many beautiful lakes, I loved to go camping to enjoy the wonders of God’s creation. But sleeping in a flimsy tent wasn’t my favorite part of the experience—especially when a rainy night and a leaky tent resulted in a soggy sleeping bag. 
I marvel to think that one of the heroes of our faith spent a hundred years in tents. 

In the highlight passage, as well as the well-known “hall of faith” chapter in Hebrews 11, we read of Abram’s trek of faith into an unknown land where he would “pitch his tent” of faith in the place his new God, Yahweh, had led him. Many of us have “homes” of stable, maybe brick, structures; but all Abram and his family had were tents; and when God called Abram to follow Him to a new place, … He simply struck his tents and followed in faith.

I don’t know about any readers here; but I’m pretty attached - or maybe even addicted - to the security of the domicile where we currently dwell, … our very stable “tent.” So, if God called me to pick up and go to a place where I was going to have to live in tents and trust my Lord - and Him alone - for safety and security and our well being, … well, I’m not sure I could have the faith of an Abram. I hope I could; because I do know that where we dwell now is not our real home.

And I, for one, long for and look for our new home in glory. How about you?

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Dear Lord, … with all that is taking place, earthquakes, fires, hurricanes, and the human upheaval in this world, I long to be with You in our eternal home in glory. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: