Wednesday, September 27, 2017

September 27, 2017 … Dressed for Success

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 270 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images from Joy Williams singing … Do They See Jesus In Me … poignantly declaring that, as Christians, we want others to see us clothed in Christlikeness.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Colossians 3: 12, … 14 [NLT] … 
12 Since God chose you to be the holy people He loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. … 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. 
… When we’re clothed with Christlikeness, others will see Jesus in us rather than us in us. 
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Colossians 3:7-17 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul teaches on how we must, as Christians, dress ourselves in the garments of Christlikeness. 
=============

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Galatians 5:22-23 [NLT] … 
22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! 
 … Paul lists the Spirit-endowed characteristics of Christlikeness. When others see us wearing these, they see Christ in us.

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Philippians 2:5 [NLT] … 5 You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. 
 … When we take on the attitude of Jesus, others see Christ in the choices we make.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David C McCasland, used a “dressed for success” word picture to show how Christians should be dressed in the clothing of Christlikeness to be successful as His witnesses in this life. The ODB author wrote: While removing the price tag from an item of winter clothing I had purchased, I smiled at these words on the back: “WARNING: This innovative product will make you want to go outdoors and stay there.”  When properly clothed for the climate, a person can survive and even thrive in harsh and changing weather conditions [see photo]. The same principle is true in our spiritual lives. As followers of Jesus, our all-weather spiritual wardrobe has been prescribed by the Lord in His Word. 

I’ve always liked the “dressed for success” word picture from Colossians 3 when it comes to our success as witnesses for Christ; because, if others see me “clothed” in my REAL ME clothing they will not see very much of Christ in me. No … I have to PUT ON or wear the robes of righteousness which my Lord has for me to wear so that others will see Christ in me, rather than me in me.

I know, that’s rather awkward wording; … but as I mature as a Christian, being a disciple and exhibiting the very nature of Christ (found in the various passages above), I will actually be putting on the clothing of Christlikeness. And when I do, I will be completely “dressed for success” as a witness for my Lord.

Today, I plan to take on as much of the clothing of Christlikeness as I can; and to do all I can to have other see Him in the way I live.

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Dear Lord, … I”m putting you on today; so let anyone who sees me …. see You. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: