Thursday, August 16, 2018

August 16, 2018 … Bread of Life

Berry Patch Devotions in 2018 - Day 227 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube of images and lyrics from the group ForeverBeSure singing … Bread of Life … poignantly singing of how Christ desires to feed and fill us with His “bread of life.”


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: John 6:35a [NLT] … 35 Jesus replied, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. … 
… The question is … do I desire the Bread of Life enough to fill my spiritual hunger? 
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: John 6:32-40 [NLT]… USE THIS LINK
… Jesus tells His Disciples that any who seek after the “Bread of Life” from Him will never hunger. 
=============

Reference Passage : …Deuteronomy 8:3 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God taught His people that they cannot live by bread alone … but by every word which comes from God. [Which was quoted by Jesus to Satan in the wilderness as the enemy was tempting Him - see Matt. 4:4]

Reference Passage : … Psalms 34:8, 107:9 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… The psalmists sing of how only God can satisfy the deep longings of our hearts.

Reference Passage : … Revelation 3:20 [NLT] … 20 “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. … “ 
… Jesus so desires to dine with us in fellowship; but will we let Him in?

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Elisa Morgan, used a personal story to illustrate how we can hunger for physical pleasure more than our desire for Christ’s “Bread of Life.” The ODB author wrote: Riding along with my husband on some errands, I scrolled through emails on my phone and was surprised at an incoming advertisement for a local donut shop, a shop we had just passed on the right side of the street. Suddenly my stomach growled with hunger. I marveled at how technology allows vendors to woo us into their establishments. 
As I clicked off my email, I mused over God’s constant yearning to draw me closer. He always knows where I am and longs to influence my choices. I wondered, Does my heart growl in desire for Him the way my stomach did over the idea of a donut? 

Oh how God desires that we seek after our relationship with Christ as much as we seek after those things which satisfy our physical bodies! … The ODB story today reminded me of my own gluttony for donuts [see photo]; and how I so desire to love the word of God, which is the “bread of life,” … just as much - and preferably more - that my lusting for donuts. And yes, the advertisement business [and really Satan himself] would do all they can to get us to lust after the things of this world so as to draw us away from our desire to partake of the “bread of life.”

The latter, of course, can only come from an abiding and intimate relationship with Christ and especially partaking regularly and often from the “bread of life,” which is His word. So the challenge from today’s journal entry is to lead us to open the door of fellowship when we hear Jesus knocking (see Rev. 3:20); and to dine with Him, partaking of His ‘bread of life,” which we consume from His truth.

And that is why you find me here - EVERY DAY - at the table of fellowship and devotion, praying that my Lord will dine with me as I partake of the “bread of life” which He shares with me from His word. And it so fills me!!

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for Your word which provides me with Your bread of life.
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … O Lord, I pray that all who read here are being filled and satisfied, as I am, with Your “bread of life.” … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: