Tuesday, August 21, 2018

August 21, 2018 … A Good Father’s Watch Care

Berry Patch Devotions in 2018 - Day 232 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube of song and lyrics from Chris Tomlin singing his … Good, Good Father … poignantly singing of how we can put our lives in the hands of a good, good Heavenly Father … ALWAYS!


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Luke 23:46 [NLT] … 46 Then Jesus shouted, “Father, I entrust My spirit into Your hands!” And with those words He breathed His last. 
… In our Lord’s last breath on earth, He cries out in prayer, quoting from Psalm 31:5 for His Heavenly Father to take His Spirit.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Luke 23:44-48 [NLT]… USE THIS LINK
… Luke’s account of Jesus’ death shows the Lord’s last words were a prayer to His Heavenly Father to take His Spirit back into the loving hands of the Father.
=============

Reference Passage : … Psalm 31:5 [NLT] … 5  I entrust my spirit into Your hand. Rescue me, Lord, for You are a faithful God.
… Jesus’s prayer from the cross as He died, quoting from a prayer in song by David.

Reference Passage : … John 1:12 [NLT] … 12 But to all who believed Him and accepted Him, He gave the right to become children of God. 
… When we become converted Christians, we have a loving Heavenly Father watching over us forever.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, James Banks, reflects on a prayer taught to children by their parents, … often the first prayer the child learns, and a prayer which has great biblical significance. The ODB author wrote: One of the first prayers I learned as a little boy was “Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep . . .” It was a prayer I learned from my parents, and I taught it to my son and daughter when they were little. As a child, I found great comfort in placing myself in God’s hands with those words before I fell asleep. 

It is a prayer taught to many a child as their first prayer, isn’t it [see photo]? But I doubt that many of those parents realize the biblical significance of this little prayer, which was essentially the prayer that Jesus prayed with His last human breath on earth (see the highlight passage). And in that prayer to His heavenly Father, Jesus was actually quoting from a prayer uttered in song by David in a moment of deep distress [see Psalm 31:5].

And it is a prayer which we all should pray with deep meaning … that, as the linked song sings, we have a “good, good Father,” whose watch care over us as His children extends 24/7, everywhere we go; … tand hat His loving, saving grace will be with us, not only in this life, but forever. And I think that’s a truth for which we should pray a prayer of thanks, don’t you? And I will.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for Your loving watch care as my Heavenly Father.
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … When I lay down to sleep tonight, I pray, dear Lord, my soul to keep. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: