Wednesday, February 13, 2019

February 13, 2019 … Foxhole Faith

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 44

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube images and lyrics from Crowder, along with Tauren Wells singing … All My Hope … poignantly singing of our realization and reality that we must put all our trust and hope in the Lord … ALWAYS!!!


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 39:7 [NLT] … 7  And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you. 
… David sings of putting all His hope in His God.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 39:1-7 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… David, after his post-Bathsheba battle with his own confession of sin, realizes that all he can do is put his hope in His Lord.
=============

Reference Passage : … Psalm 51:1 [NLT] … 1  Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love; … because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. 
… David, broken over his sins with Bathsheba, begs His Lord for mercy.

Reference Passage : … Psalm 32:5 [NLT] … 5  Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.” And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone. 
… After David had confessed his sins with Bathsheba, he declares how God forgave him [BTW, Ps. 32 was written after Ps. 51].

Reference Passage : … Psalm 139:23-24 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… David’s forever prayer, recognizing that all HIs hope must be in the mercy/grace of our Lord.

Reference Passage : … 1John 1:9 [NLT] … 9 But if we confess our sins to Him, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 
… In dealing with our battles with self EVERYDAY, we must recognize that our only hope for cleansing is the same for us that it was for David … confession.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Tim Gustafson, uses a historical story from WW2 to illustrate how we need to be able to pray for forgiveness with our everyday battles with sin just as King David had to in his day. The ODB author writes … As artillery rounds fell around him with an earth-shaking … “whoomp,” [see photo] … the young soldier prayed fervently, “Lord, if You get me through this, I’ll go to that Bible school Mom wanted me to attend.” God honored his focused prayer. My dad survived World War II, went to Moody Bible Institute, and invested his life in ministry. 
Another warrior endured a different kind of crisis that drove him to God, but his problems arose when he avoided combat. As King David’s troops fought the Ammonites, David was back at his palace casting more than just a glance at another man’s wife (see 2 Samuel 11). 

And as we read in today’s ODB entry, King David had to deal with his own “foxhole faith,” especially after being convicted of his sins with Bathsheba. Read in Psalms 51, 32, and 39 (written in that order chronologically) of how broken David was after his sin … and of his battle with self to put all His trust in the Lord for God’s mercy and forgiveness.

Then in Psalms 139:23-24 we see how David learned to pray continually that God would keep him clean from sin, … just as we New Covenant saints should realize the truth of 1John 1:9 … to put all our hope in Jesus (as Crowder sings in the linked song), allowing us to confess and be cleansed when we battle with sin everyday.

And I pray that just as King David sung, we let God’s mercy/grace wash us from yesterday’s sin and go into battle today to honor our Lord with our lives for His glory.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, … for Your mercies - new every morning - to cleanse me of my sins.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I pray, Lord, that all reading here can, and will, join me to pray for Your forgiving and cleansing grace today. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: