Tuesday, October 13, 2015

October 13, 2015:  Vision Quest

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 285

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of Daniel O’Donnell singing Here I Am Lord, … we seek for God’s meaning in life - our “vision quest,” and when we receive it, we must God in His Name and for His purpose.


Highlight Passage:   Exodus 3: 14 [NKJV] …
14 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” 
…  Going forth with God’s calling.
============
Highlight Context – Exodus 3: 1-6, 10-14 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
…  Moses comes to the end of his “vision quest” and God gives him his calling
============   

Reference Passage #1 - Acts 1: 8 [NKJV] … 
8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” 
 … Jesus’ call, from the “vision quest” of salvation to be His witnesses.

Reference Passage #2 - Matthew 28: 19-20 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… God’s GREAT COMMISSION calling on all Christians

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, David Egner, relates a story of a young native american boy from what his people call a “vision quest,” where the boy, becoming a man, goes into nature and listens for the call of “The Great Spirit.” And Egner relates one such story, telling of … a young boy who was sent into the woods alone on an autumn night to prove his courage. Soon the sky darkened and the sounds of night filled the air. Trees creaked and groaned, an owl screeched, and a coyote howled. Even though he was frightened, the boy remained in the woods all night, as the test of courage required. Finally morning came, and he saw a solitary figure nearby. It was his grandfather, who had been watching over him all night long. 

And then the ODB entry relates such a “vision quest” which occurred in the highlight passage in Exodus, Chapter 3 (linked above) where Moses, having been raised for greatness as an Egyptian prince, is sent by God’s leading into the wilderness as a shepherd and finally hears God’s calling at the burning bush. And though Moses feels inadequate to the call, like the Native American story, Moses realizes that His heavenly Father will be watching over him every step of the way in God’s calling. My mentor used to say to me, “God’s calling is His enablement.”

 I know when I felt called to co-found and lead in the ministry calling on my life by God’s Spirit, i.e., Battle Plan Ministry (USE THIS LINK), I was encouraged and supported by God through the Elders in my church; and though I did feel inadequate, I knew the charge of Acts 1: 8 and Matthew 28: 19-20, God’s great charge/commission to all Christians. So, as Daniel O’Donnell sings in the linked song today, I responded to my “vision quest,” by saying, “Here I am, Lord!!” I

 don’t know what God’s calling will be for you; but when He calls, … GO!! … in His Name and for His glory.

My Prayer Today:  Oh, … Help me to fulfill your vision question … in Your Name and for Your glory. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: