Saturday, October 17, 2015

October 17, 2015:  Rugged Road Ahead

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 289  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of Paul McCartney singing the Beatles classic, The Long and Winding Road, … with a spiritual double entendre about taking the long and winding road to the love of our lives … which for Christians is to heaven and Christ.


Highlight Passage:   Psalm 25: 8-9 [NKJV] …  
8 Good and upright is the Lord; therefore, He teaches sinners in the way. 9 The humble He guides in justice, and the humble He teaches His way. 
…  David knew that his humility was the key to finding God’s path in life.
============ 
Highlight Context – Psalm 25: 4-10 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  
…  David knew that finding and staying on God’s path in life was THE WAY to go.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Proverbs 3: 5-6 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  ...
… David’s son had learned the lesson of trusting God being the key to staying the Lord’s narrow - and winding - road.

Reference Passage #2 - Jeremiah 6: 16 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK …
... God, thru the Prophet, relays His map for peaceful living … but so often God’s people refused to take it.

Reference Passage #3 - Romans 8: 28 [NKJV] … 
28 All things work together for the good for those who love God and are the called according to His purposes. 
… Paul wrote about how the road may seem rough at times; but God only takes His loved ones down His road to lead to good things - His things.

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, David Roper, told a personal story to illustrate his teaching. He wrote, … A fishing buddy of mine told me about an alpine lake located high on the north flank of Jughandle Mountain here in Idaho. Rumor had it that large cutthroat trout lurked up there. … His map put me on one of the worst roads I’ve ever driven! It was an old logging road that had been bulldozed through the forest and never regraded. Washouts, fallen timber, deep ruts, and large rocks battered my spine and bent the undercarriage of my truck. It took half a morning to reach my destination, and when I finally arrived I asked myself, “Why would a friend send me up a road like this?” … But the lake was magnificent and the fish were indeed large and scrappy! My friend had put me on the right road—one I would have chosen myself and patiently endured had I known what I knew at the end. 

Perhaps a reader here, as have I, has experienced the reality that God often leads us down a rough, and often rugged, road to get to the places where His purposes play out for us in life. Thats the truth of the Old Testament (see Jer. 6: 16) and the New (see Rom. 8: 28). And so many times it’s difficult for us to see what David sang about in his Psalm 25: 4-10, where God leads His humble and obedient followers down rough roads to lead His people in His way.

 I don’t think I need to go on with more persuasion than can be found above, do I? No, our task is to take the narrow, often rough, road, leading to our final destination … to be with Jesus forever.

My Prayer Today:  Oh, my Lord, … I follow You, no matter where the road may lead. … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: