Monday, March 18, 2019

March 18, 2019 … Joy Anyway

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 77 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube with images and song from Laura Story singing her song … Blessings … poignantly singing of how God’s blessings are sometimes hidden in the midst of trials and tribulations.


==============
Highlight Verse[s]: Habakkuk 3:17-18 [NLT] … 17  Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, 18  yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!  
… As did Habakkuk. we can choose God’s joy to dispel our fears.  
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Habakkuk 3:16-19 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God showed the Prophet how to choose to hold onto his joy in the midst of trying times. 
==============

Reference Passage : … Joshua 1:5 [NLT] … 5 No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you. 
… No matter how hard things seem, God will never forsake us.

Reference Passage : … Proverbs 3:5,6 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… In the midst of trials and troubles, we must avoid seeing the world thru our own eyes and trust to see things in light of God’s truth.

Reference Passage : … John 16:33 [NLT] … 33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” 
 … Jesus taught His disciples (and reminds us) that He has overcome all elements of the world, no matter what we might see going on out there.

Reference Passage : … Romans 8:28, 15:13 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK ... 
… Trusting that ALL circumstances are for our good; and praying that God gives us His peace in the midst of turmoil.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Kirsten Holmberg, uses a personal remembrance to teach on how we can choose to overcome trying circumstances with an attitude of joy and trust in our God. The ODB author wrote … Whenever she was unable to take my phone call, my friend’s voicemail recording invited me to leave her a message. The recording cheerfully concluded, “Make it a great day!” As I reflected on her words, I realized that it’s not within our power to make every day “great”—some circumstances truly are devastating. But a closer look might reveal something redeeming and beautiful in my day, whether things are going well or poorly. 

It’s hard sometimes, in this chaotic/evil world, to choose to hold onto joy in the midst of trying times. That’s what the Prophet Habakkuk had to deal with too. In his journal, which we find in his prophetic book in the Bible, among the so-called “minor prophets,” we read Habakkuk coming to God confused and troubled, his faith challenged by troubling times. But God takes Habakkuk from being fearful in Chapter 1, where the prophet felt like a victim to being joyful in Chapter 3 (see highlight passage) … where Habakkuk chose to be faithful and see the victory that was going to come from God in the midst of loss and trial.

From victim to victory! … From fearful to faithful! … Where are we today? … Do we trust in God to give us the truth in the reference passages above? … Because if we do believe God’s truth, then we’re going to trust that even the tough trials in life can be - and must be - seen as blessings … as Laura Story sings in the linked song.

Personally, … tho it may be really hard, I’m grateful for this reminder from OBD that I don’t have to wait on the warm and fuzzy times to CHOOSE to hold onto my joy in the midst of these dark days. And because of the truth of my God’s promises (see above), I’m praying right now for His peace [if you don’t know it, go to Phil. 4:6-7 on your own]… to dispel my fears and give me His joy. 

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, … for Your promise that You have overcome the troubles of this world and will ALWAYS give me your joy when I seek it. 
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I pray, Lord, that all reading here can, and will, join me and to set aside our fears and faithfully seek Your joy. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: