Sunday, March 24, 2019

March 24, 2019 … Singing Our Praises

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 83 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video with song and lyrics from the group Hillsong singing … Sing to the Lord … powerfully leading in worship and singing of how we need to sing our praises to the Lord in our lives of worship.


==============
Highlight Verse[s]: 2 Chronicles 5:13 [NLT] … 13 The trumpeters and singers performed together in unison to praise and give thanks to the Lord. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals, and other instruments, they raised their voices and praised the Lord with these words: “He is good! His faithful love endures forever!” 
… Solomon, in dedicating the new Temple, had the Priests lead the people in the worship of song, singing praises to God for His Holiness and mighty power.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 2 Chronicles 5:7-14 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Solomon, in bringing the Arch of the Covenant, into the Holy of Holies in God’s temple, had the people sing their praises to the the living God accompanied by the musicians in God’s Temple. 
==============

Reference Passage : … Psalms 13:8, 96:1-2, 104:33, 149:1 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK ... 
 … In God’s song book, the Psalms, the psalmists declare their praises and Spirit-led worship by singing to the Lord.

Reference Passage : … Ephesians 5:18-19 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God, thru Paul, exhorts His people to walk in the Spirit and worship by singing to the Lord.

Reference Passage : … James 5:13 [NLT] … 13 Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises. 
… James exhorts fellow Christians to pray when suffering and sing praises when feeling joy.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Mart DeHaan, uses a historical reference to show the importance of song and music in the worship of God. The ODB author wrote … During the Welsh Revivals of the early twentieth century, Bible teacher and author G. Campbell Morgan described what he observed. He believed the presence of God’s Holy Spirit was moving on “billowing waves of sacred song.” Morgan wrote that he had seen the unifying influence of music in meetings that encouraged voluntary prayers, confession, and spontaneous singing. If someone got carried away by their feelings and prayed too long, or spoke in a way that didn’t resonate with others, someone would begin to softly sing. Others would gently join in, the chorus swelling in volume until drowning out all other sound. 

If you’ve ever read or followed my daily journals, as I blog what God’s Spirit shares with me and I lift up my praises to the Lord here daily, you’ll note that I find and link at least one song to express my praises and joy in my quiet times. Music has always been a great part of my devotional life; and I’ve got many Christian praise songs stored on my cell phone to which I go often during most days, to worship God or to lift me out of any down spirit I may be experiencing.

By being a teacher in a local medical school for years, I often taught how music, accompanied by meaningful lyrics, activates the entire brain simultaneously; and that’s why I’m convinced it was so important to those who were leading in worship in both the Old/New Testaments … to do so with music.

When Solomon dedicated the Temple he had built for God, he had the Priests lead the people in song (see highlight passage). There is a song book in the middle of the Old Testament, and we read the Psalmists often referencing their singing of praises to God (see Psalms linked above). And luminaries like Paul and James in the New Testament exhorted fellow Christians to sing their praises and worship in song (see NT reference Scriptures above).

So, I pray that any readers here will find a favorite praise or worship song today and raise it … with joy … to the Lord, … singing to God with gratitude for His wondrous grace and love. 

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, … for giving us the capacity to sing our praises and our love for You today and tomorrow.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I pray, Lord, that all reading here can, and will, join me and to find a song and sing our praises and love for the Lord today. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: