Wednesday, May 29, 2019

May 29, 2019 … That Empty Bed

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 149

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Steve Green singing … People Need the Lord … poignantly singing of how we need to be ready and able to share Jesus and His Gospel with anyone we encounter who is lost and needs a Savior.


==============
Highlight Verse[s]: Matthew 28:19-20 [NLT] …  19 “… Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations,[a] baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” 
… Jesus, as He is about to ascend into Heaven, imparts His charge of evangelism to His disciples, and therefore, to ALL true, born-again believers.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Matthew 28:16-20 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Jesus gives His “Great Commission” to anyone/everyone who had or will ever accept Him as Lord and Savior.
==============

Reference Passage : … Acts 1:8 [NIV] … 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” 
… All true Christians are charged by Jesus Himself with the mission to be Christ’s witnesses … everywhere and anywhere in our lives.

Reference Passage : … 1 Peter 3:15 [NIV] … 15 Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it. 
… As disciples of Christ, we must worship Him with our lives, doing all we can to answer anyone who asks us about our faith with the truth of God’s word.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Dave Branon, uses a personal remembrance to highlight our need to share the gospel whenever we get an opportunity with lost souls who desperately need a Savior. And the ODB author wrote: I was eager to return to St. James Infirmary in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and reconnect with Rendell, who two years earlier had learned about Jesus’s love for him. Evie, a teenager in the high school choir I travel with each spring, had read Scripture with Rendell and explained the gospel, and he personally received Jesus as his Savior. 
When I entered the men’s section of the home and looked toward Rendell’s bed, however, I found it was empty [see photo]. I went to the nurse’s station, and was told what I didn’t want to hear. He had passed away—just five days before we arrived. 
Through tears, I texted Evie the sad news. Her response was simple: “Rendell is celebrating with Jesus.” Later she said, “It’s a good thing we told him about Jesus when we did.” … 
I’ll never forget the sadness of seeing that empty bed—and also the joy of knowing what a difference one faithful teen made in Rendell’s forever life. 

Normally, I try to add some tidbit of personal clarity or depth by adding what I can from my own perspective on the daily ODB entry. However, if any reader with me today has read what Dave Branon wrote above and has taken the time to hear the song sung by Steve Green linked above, I don’t need to add anything to the conviction we should all feel to take every opportunity we are given to share Jesus and His kingdom gospel message with anyone and everyone who will listen.

And so, … as the old Nike logo says … let all of us. as Jesus’ disciples … ”Just do it!!

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, … for Your challenge and charge to share You love/grace with anyone who needs you today.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I pray, Lord, that all reading here can, and will, join me to be willing to share our witness of God’s grace with anyone He brings into our midst today. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: