Wednesday, May 08, 2019

May 8, 2019 … All Our Hope

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 128

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song and lyrics from Crowder and Tauren Wells singing … All My Hope … poignantly singing of Whom we must go when we encounter overwhelming trials in life.


==============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 55:1-2, 16 [NLT] … 1  Listen to my prayer, O God. Do not ignore my cry for help! 2  Please listen and answer me, for I am overwhelmed by my troubles. 
16  But I will call on God, and the Lord will rescue me. 
… David shows his faith in a God who hears and rescues in times of trouble.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 55 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… When David is in a really tough trial, he turns to the Lord for deliverance.
==============

Reference Passage : … Matthew 11:28-30 [NIV] … 28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” 
… Jesus invites all who are burdened by life to let Him help carry the burdens.

Reference Passage : …1 Peter 5:7 [NIV] … 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. 
… Peter knew where to go when he was in trouble.

Reference Passage : … Revelation 21:3-4 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… What all Christians can look forward to when we encounter overwhelming trials.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Bill Crowder, makes reference to a plaque in Boston commemorating the horrors of the great potato famine in Ireland that led to over a million deaths and those who fled to America due to the horrors they encountered. The ODB author wrote … In Boston, Massachusetts, a plaque titled “Crossing the Bowl of Tears” [see photo] remembers those who braved the Atlantic to escape death during the catastrophic Irish potato famine of the late 1840s. More than a million people died in that disaster, while another million or more abandoned home to cross the ocean, which John Boyle O’Reilly poetically called “a bowl of tears.” Driven by hunger and heartache, these travelers sought some measure of hope during desperate times. 

I’m sure all reading here have been in a place like the Irish in the ODB entry today; … or perhaps some overwhelming personal trial like that experienced by King David in Psalm 55. But you can read Whom David went to in his times of trial; and Who Crowder sings about in the linked song, … because it is our Lord Who invites us to come to Him in those burdensome times (see Matt. 11:28-30).

The question is … do we have the faith of David in the OT or Peter in the NT (see 1Pet. 5:7) … to faithfully carry our burdens to the Lord and then simply have faith that He is there to help us, … even if that means dying in the trusting … because of God’s promise in Rev. 21:4.

Yes, dear one, there will be a day when all our tears will be gone and we will be free of the burdens of this world.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, … for Your promises and providence to help me carry my burdens.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I pray, Lord, that all reading here can, and will, join me, to seek help from Jesus if we carry burdens today. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: