Sunday, March 08, 2009

2009 – Day 66.Mar. 8 – Going It Alone

2009 – Day 66.Mar. 8 – Going It Alone

Passage of the Day: Exodus 4: 11 – 17 …
Read passage from this link …

My Journal for Today: Today, I must separate myself from the teachings of Chuck Swindoll in his devotional entry for this date. But to be fair, let me represent what Swindoll is teaching here today. … He contends that, and I quote, “While I believe with all my heart in accountability, God’s call does not lend itself to the buddy system or to group excursions.” And Chuck is citing Moses in today’s passage, bailing out to get assistance from his brother, Aaron, feeling that he could not go it alone in this task as God’s leader for His people. We know, of course, (see Exod. 32) that Aaron ultimately failed Moses and God; and certainly God knew that when he allowed Aaron to be Moses’ mouthpiece before Pharaoh. And Swindoll is contending that sometimes we simply must “go it alone,” when we’re called out by God.

But I simply cannot buy into this position. Yes, my calling is MY CALLING, not someone else’s. And what God calls me to do for His glory will not be the same as someone else; but I also believe, and know from God’s word and experience, that Christ is in the business of using His Body, working together, for each of us to be maximized in our individual gifts and calling.

I’m very much against anything that smacks of “Lone Ranger” Christianity; and I’m afraid that Swindoll seems to be heading his readers today toward that leaning. I firmly believe that God uses us individually best when we stand together and work together with other believers. If that were not the case in this scenario, why would God not have insisted that Moses go it alone? If “going it alone” was the way to go in life, why would Jesus, when training his disciples, send them out two-by-two on field trips of training in discipleship; and why, when He charged His followers with the Great Commission did He allow for them to begin their ministry right there in Jerusalem working together in a Body?

If God wants us to go it alone in ministry and mission work, why does God’s word strongly teach that a three fold cord is stronger than a single strand (see Eccl. 4: 11-12) and that iron sharpens iron (see Prov.27: 17)?

No, I’m sorry Chuck, … I just don’t seem to be buying your contention that Moses should have gone it alone and not relied on someone, like Aaron, to carry out God’s will in freeing His people. Yes, I agree that one’s individual calling is not someone else’s calling; but I think it’s very important for God’s army to be fighting the battles of life, back-to-back with a band of brothers, … a unified and cohesive force, working TOGETHER for God’s glory.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, I am responsible for your calling on my life; but I thank You for the grace of sending others into my life to bring Your calling to fruition. Amen

1 comment:

Sara Campbell said...

Glad I'm not over here alone!