Tuesday, March 31, 2009

2009 – Day 89.Mar. 31 – Written Instructions

2009 – Day 89.Mar. 31 – Written Instructions

Passage of the Day: Exodus 19: 16 – 20: 26 …
Link to Exodus 19 – 20 for study …

My Journal for Today:
Swindoll’s devotional for this last day of March – the 89th day of the year, still focusing on the life of Moses, emphasizes the importance of God’s WRITTEN word, noting that the passage for today begins the description of God’s primal effort to impart His written instructions – His life commands – to mankind. Swindoll leaps ahead a bit, citing Exodus 24: 12 – 13, to indicate where God imparts His intent to Moses to do just that.

And Swindoll’s point is well taken here in the Moses story … that we have a tendency to take this incredible gift – of God’s written word – for granted. … Guilty, as indicated !!!

I have at least a half dozen printed copies of God’s translated word in my possession, representing at least four different scholarly or paraphrased versions of the Bible. I can, with a few keystrokes, pull up a myriad of other versions of God’s word on the internet from this very computer right here where I sit this morning. And I can do all sorts of word or topical searches/studies involving God’s word with various software tools which I have available to me. And with all of that, I’m afraid that I – at times – take the written and Holy word of God for granted.

Swindoll tells a poignant story of a Russian man at a book convention in Moscow, in the days of the Soviet Union before the fall of Communism, who was waiting in line to get a free Bible at the meeting, the Soviets having finally allowed Bibles to be given away, … a rare instance in those days. Well, when the Bibles ran out before he could get one, the man asked for the cardboard box in which the Scriptures came. He was very disappointed that he couldn’t have a Bible; but if he couldn’t have a written text, at least he wanted to have the empty box in which they came. That’s how much he treasured and desired access to God’s written word.

We hear stories all the time about people in China, or in other places where the Bible is forbidden, passing a few pages from the Bible from one Christian to another so that they can memorize as much of the treasured Scriptures they can before they must pass them on to others. And I ask myself, “Does my ready access to God’s word take away my reverence for what God has imparted to me? It’s no wonder the early Hebrews revered the first five books of the Bible and the later copies which were passed on in scrolls from one priestly group to another. This was then – and now still is – God’s written word.

I stand convicted as I write this that I need to be humbled by the reality of the miracle I am writing about here. God has given to mankind – to me – His very word; and we New Covenant Christians have so much more of it than even His chosen people did. I simply MUST NOT take it for granted! Each morning I come here to journal my thoughts, ideas, and applications of God’s word; and I need to realize – with more intensity – just how important is this process.

Each day when I read and study from God’s word and I take my interpretations and instructions from it, GOD HIMSELF is speaking to me. Yes, GOD HIMSELF is imparting His love for me through His word. When I read the Bible, GOD HIMSELF is giving me instructions on how to live, move, and have my being. And GOD HIMSELF is telling me … from Genesis to Revelations about His Son Who came to ME, died for ME, and now is Heaven interceding for ME [see Phil. 2: 5 – 11 - link provided].

All of this is saying to me, Bill Berry, “This is infinitely important!!” And if you’re reading this, join me in saying a prayer in reverence for God’s written word.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, forgive my surface attitude about your Holy Word. Help me to take every word from the pages of my Bible to heart for my life and for my witness of Your truth. Amen

No comments: